Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mapping Network Drives over VPN

• Please log in to reply

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

and u're ryt... it is just trusting the local authentication..user logs in domain user account and then connects to VPN...

that's the part that i don't like...nor trust

Advertisements

neora

neora

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
i'm going to discuss with my boss about upgrading the VPN gateway...

but another worrying thing is... when the net use failed the user could 'ping servername' and it was successful... also he tried '\\server ip addr' in run and he could see all the shared folders... if it was authentication problem then it shudnt have let that happen ryt?

now i dont even know what to trust.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
and that's where the confussion does get worse...

...the ability to ping the server by name could be a result of the local dns cache...or the fact that on the vpn he's using your dns server that knows the server's name

and....even from a computer that's not joined to the domain...you should be able to do a \\serverip\shared folder and make a connection.....of course...it will usually ask for authentication...but...maybe at that point....it's accepting the authentication

did they try doing the \\servername in run....to each server that's containing the mapped drives......THEN run the netuse batch file?

neora

neora

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
hmmm.. i'll get the user to do that... strangely... before all these confusion started it used to work that way only... the user had to do \\server and then map drives.

i found this when i was researching.... do u think that's a possible problem... this server we're trying to map drives to is win2k3 sp1

http://support.micro....com/?id=898060

Edited by neora, 16 November 2006 - 08:00 AM.

neora

neora

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
k... now the drives can be mapped offsite... but the mirrored drives wont sync... when tried to sync they seem to sync for hours and fail... any idea why a sync would fail??? cus we've done sync over the VPN in the same machine and same VPN cxn before...

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'm going to be completely honest with you...at this point in time...nothing about your system makes sense.....at all....ever..hehe

by mirrored drives...are you talking about offline synchronization?....if so...that...SHOULDN"T need to be done from the vpn... as it would...in theory synch locally when they are in the office...so they should be able to work on the stuff from anywhere...then it would synch when they get back

neora

neora

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Ya.. offline sync.. And it's one of the managers. He's usually travellingand that's why he needs a local copy in his laptop.When he's back he mostly works from him home office where he uses the VPN. he wasnts to sync the data to the office because data in office is backed up regularly...