Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Post

• Please log in to reply

bobthemailman

bobthemailman

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
I recently had a motherboard that was DOA and I believe I have another one. The first one would not even startup, it tried to startup but it couldn’t. I have the replacement I just received and now it won’t post, it is extremely weird. I have never seen or herd of this before. I have the motherboard sitting on the box it came with; it is hooked up to a power supply, RAM, Processor w/heat sink, and the onboard speaker. When it starts up it stays on but it doesn’t post anything on the display, and I have tried it with multiple working monitors I have also tried installing a graphics card and it still doesn’t work. The screen just blinks on startup. So, I get no Adios or video but when I hooked up a hard rive it starts to access the hard rive like its booting into windows. But I still don’t have any ideas whatsoever.

Another thing would the computer at least start to post or beep if I had a good motherboard but a bad processor?

Any help with either of those problems would be great :thumbsup:

Bobthemailman
:cool:

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Usually If you do not have video the monitor puts up a small window that says no video. You may not get any sounds if the motherboard depends on an external system speaker to give a POST sound. A easy way to check is to try getting into the bios by hitting the delete key( your's may be different, some are). Many new builds i set up on a cardboard box with PS, HD, keyboard, mouse, monitor( with video card if necessary), and memory, just so i can see that the Mb will boot and to look around the BIOS to see what is available to use. If you have on-board video and you cannot get any video (including bios video) the motherboard display is probably bad. I keep a PCI video card around for just such occasions. I can usually get to the bios screen with a pci card, and there can switch the onboard to AGP or PCI.

I have also done a 2 time RMA ( return merchandise) replacement on one certain motherboard that all 3 boards were bad. I think they were selling refurbished MB's as new so i quit dealing with the company. The Mb's were for an older computer that the parts were hard to find for.

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 11 October 2006 - 08:02 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Specs would be nice.

bobthemailman

bobthemailman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
Ok thank you for replyin i know how busy it can get around here :blink:

Ok well i thought that the motherboards onboard could be bad as well so i pluged in my PCI express x16 7950 gt and it still didnt work. Its a Socket am2 Gigabyte Micro atx Motherboard, with a AMD 64 3800+ with 1 gig of XMS DDR2 800, A 320gb HD SATAII WD, and a samsung DVD burner, o yah the Power supply is a 550 modular power supply.

The motherboard does not beep and i do have the onboard speaker plugged in.

Thanks a bunch

Bobthemailman
:whistling:

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I would say it is time to replace the motherboard again if all the other hardware is working. I recently had a intel MB that would only go to a intel logo . I could not get it to do anything else. I started checking things by replacing the other hardware one piece at a time. When i replaced the HD with another i all of a sudden could get to the bios.

So i think you need to find out if any of your hardware is bad before replacing the MB. I also know this is a daunting task for people that do not have thr available parts necessary to check everything. Perhaps taking the parts to a local computer shop to check them may be the cheapest alternative right now. Many times i do this for local people very cheaply since it usually leads to them buying other hardware and services from me later.

SRX660

bobthemailman

bobthemailman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
Well the I think it is time to go with a different manufacture, I am pretty sure that its the motherboard. When i take out the CPU the board is still not responsive, no beeb code or anything and the guy i talked to a gigabyte was trying to tell me that award Bios did not have any bios beeb code for bad cpu. I did some research and i did find several sites that said it had one.

So I am going to go by a Abit now

Bobthemailman
:whistling:

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
what mobo do you have

bobthemailman

bobthemailman

• Topic Starter