Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Tempramental Internet Connection (Wireless Broadband)

• Please log in to reply

Andy Bagnall

Andy Bagnall

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,

I have a very annoying problem at the moment in that my wireless broadband connection operates very sporadically. I have have the connection now for just over a year with TPG internet, and for the first 6 months it was fine and I experienced no problems whatsoever. However about 6 months ago I could not get online. THe wireless network appeared to be connected and everythin looked normal, just that internet sites would not load.
I phoned TPG thinking their network was down or something and they told me to try unplugging the modem and then turning it back on, which I did. THis worked at the time and I thought it was just a small glitch.
However since then I have been having the same problem over and over again where I go to use the internet and there is no connection (again everything looks normal, the wireless network is connected and with good signal strength but web pages don't load), then I restart the modem and after about 30 seconds the wireless network connects and then 5minutes later approximately I can usually access the web again. This usually works for an hour or two and then I have to repeat.
Lately it has been getting worse and often the connection will jump in and out every few minutes, so sometimes a web page will half load and then stop and I have to keep refreshing to get things to load.

I have called my ISP about it and they tell me that from their end everything looks ok and that my modem is connected to the network, so it looks like a wireless problem.

I haven't added any other devices to my house that may cause interference, nor have I changed the location of the modem or the receiver on the computer and everything is the same as it was 6 months ago when it worked fine.

I wondered if it could be malware or virus related but I have been through the malware 'how to" guide and ran all the programs, though I have not yet posted a hijack this log which I will do tonight.
I have ran the winsock fix many times, it does not help really.

Any help on this would be appreciated, I am running XP, on a 3GHz machine, with a USB wireless adaptor and a D-Link 4 port wireless modem. The broadband is 512kbit/s ADSL.

Is there any way of telling if the modem is stuffed, or is something else causing this, could it be the wireless settings? I don't understand, as it does work sometimes, just not reliably! But iit is getting too annoying to put up with as my broadband is now feeling slower than dial up at times.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Andy,
Newcastle - Australia

Advertisements

wf4

wf4

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
I am having the same problem and also have a thread open under this section.

So far i have tried the winsock fix, flushed the DNS, installed Spyware Doctor, renewed the connection, patched up windows, reset all IE settings to default, blocked all processes that are not required with my firewall, replaced my wireless card... I could go on!

After replacing my wireless card there was a fix and the problem was sorted however after an hour the card malfunctioned! I replaced my old one (which is only 7 days old) and was back with the same problem.

Tonight i am going to reinstall service pack 2, and if that does not fix it i will uninstall it and use my windows disk to repair the installation then reinstall SP2 again....
Maybe you should try some of the things i have incase your problem is not as severe as mine.

if you get a fix, please let me know!

Out of interest, i had problems after installing Azuerus download manager and a DVD copying program, have you recently installed any program like this?

Hope this helps!!

Will.

Andy Bagnall

Andy Bagnall

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,

Yeah I have tried pretty much everything you have and no success. I think the problems may have started after I got infected with the "winhound" malware. But not sure, though it worked fine before that. I have got rid of the winhound or at least I think I have as I followed a removal process I found on this site, but maybe there is a lingering problem...

wf4

wf4

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
No luck for me either!

I have just formatted both drives and replaced my wireless USB card with a wireless PCI card.

up and running now and fully secure!

I hope you dont have to do the same!