Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PCi or USB

• Please log in to reply

jwardy07

jwardy07

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
Hey people just want ur opinions on which wireless internet card is better, PCi or USB?

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
I personally don't see it as being a big difference... Really, USB is more for those who use laptops, or those who intend on using the adapter on more than one computer. PCI might be cheaper, just becuase it stays in one spot inside, it's not portable. I think they're both equally as fast, so long as they have the same transfer rates and such.

jwardy07

jwardy07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
The only difference i see is that pci is more direct to the motherboard and has less chance of cutting out unlike usb through a cable which can be sometimes tender and possibly pci may use less memory or power to use. i really dont know, just what im thinkin, why i asked u guys

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Well, as far as cables and such, USB would really be just as good. I don't see it losing a connection. Speed is probably about the same. As far as resources, I don't think there's much of a difference there either... We'll wait for some extra opinions, but I don't think it makes too much of a difference :whistling:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
PCI is better, its a faster interface if you have a particularly fast network card that may be a factor, it gives more reliable power and reliability, its also usually easier to get drivers for them and get them working especially if you arent an all the time windows user.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Ah yes, drivers! It can certainly be a nightmare, especially with USB or another external device. :whistling:

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Just For wireless on a desktop (Not Wired)

Just make sure your plugging your usb wireless adapter into the 2.0 slots on the back, not the 1.0 slots on the front. (on most common PC's)

USB usually gets better reception as it tends to sit up high.. like on the back of your monitor, instead of down in the bottom of your desk at the back of your pc case buried under a mass of cables and wires that just happen to have all copper center conducters.

Just For wireless on a laptop (Not Wired)

USB sux... cause your always fightin the cord... go with PCMIA instead, or internal.