Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Connection Service (ICS) Stuck - Network Connec tions Flakey

• Please log in to reply

scottportraits

scottportraits

• PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

My internet cable connection is flakey; sometimes will and sometimes won't connect, and will not stay connected.

When I go to control panel > Network connections it has the two icons for hi-speed, a WAN driver and an ethernet connection. But when I right click on either it freezes up the window (no drop-down menu) and I can't get to the 'properties' tab. The only way out is with Task Manager terminating the non-responsive process.

Also, I can't get to my Windows Firewall, so I am using ZoneAlarm instead. The firewall settings are also inaccessible (like the network connections 'properties') , with error messages that 'associated services' (ICS) are NOT running, when I try to open the dialog. Task Manager termination again is the only way out.

So I right-click on My Computer, choose Manage, then open the 'services' to find that the "Windows/Firewall Internet Connection Sharing Service" is stopped....and I am unable to activate or enable it. Either Auto or manual, when I hit 'Start' it throws up an error message.

The error message is 1068 : Dependency Service or Group Failed to Start. There are no progs or processes listed in either of the 'dependencies' tab's boxes. It just locks up and refuses to start. Up and down the services list I find nothing too glaring that seems amiss.

Trying to set up a broadband network connection sends up error message 678. I have Adelphia cable hi-speed. Did many virus and trojan scans in regular and safe mode....nothing comes up.

Start > Run > msconfig > Services tab also lists this Windows/Firewall service grey checked as being stopped; but nothing you can do about it from there.

Can't seem to get at these things....network set-up wizard, or Internet options > Connections to try any other strategy. I guess these WAN/Ethernert settings have to be re-configured after the right services are activated.

Any help ?

- Scottportraits

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
HI there,

What is you cale network identification? (PPPoE,DHCP,MAC)

678 is generally a failure in the NIC to contact the service providers network.

Go to Start-> Control Panel -> Network Connections.
Delete any unused Broadband (PPPoE) connections.
Locate the NIC that is being used for this connection, right click on its icon, and choose Disable from the menu.
Wait for XP to mark the device as Disabled.
Unplug the Ethernet cord from the PC.
Right click the icon for the NIC, and choose enable.
Wait for XP to mark the device Enabled (Cable unplugged).
Reconnect the Ethernet cable.
Wait briefly for XP to detect the cable, then try to connect.

see if this helps

scottportraits

scottportraits

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

The cable network is PPPoE.
Don't know what NIC means.

When I open Network Connections and hover cursor over icon (WAN Driver or Ethernet) the whole window freezes. No drop down menu to disable or repair. Task Mgr only way out.

Possible hacker got in with personal grudge and broke something.

Tried disconnect - re-connect cable, and reset modem, but to no avail.

Can only hold connection for a few minutes.

- Scottportraits