Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Browser Problems

• Please log in to reply

HisBiz

HisBiz

• Pip
  • 7 posts
On two new computers with XP Home Edition that worked fine last week will no longer access the internet through IE7 or portable Firefox. We have FirstClass email client on the computer and it works as it should. I connected an older computer with XP Home Edition on it and it worked fine. We are on a wireless broadband system. Other computers with XP Pro apparently are working just fine.

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Hi there,

What security software are you running?

Can you you surf in safe mode with network?

Since the other PC's are working fine I would suspect a firewall or spyware program of blocking port 80.

HisBiz

HisBiz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Mcaffe Security Suite. I suspect that may be part of our problem. I haven't tried safe mode yet, I plan to tomorrow. I forgot to mention that I get a message that not all of Mcaffe is active. I removed Mcaffe on one computer and still had the problem. I've tried a system restore point to a time that I know the computer was working properly. I still can't help but wonder if Microsoft update changed something in the Home Edition.

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Since a corrupt Security Security Suite is involved It's a good posibility the winsocks are corrupt.

with Service Pack 2 go to Start /run /open=cmd. Type in "netsh winsock reset" (no quotes) and press enter. You should get a message to restart if the restet is successful. Restart and see if you can surf.

HisBiz

HisBiz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I tried all of that with no success. I even tried a version of Knoppix and couldn't access the internet with a browser. We have three computers that have the same problem...it looks like the browser is working and starting to open a page then they stop. One of the three doesn't use Mcaffe it uses AVG instead. Keep in mind an older computer with an un-updated XP Home edition can access the net with IE6. :whistling:

HisBiz

HisBiz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
The problem was apparently an update from Microsoft affected their communication with our server. For some reason certain computers were affected. None affected had Microsoft XP Pro.