Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Major XP problem for me

• Please log in to reply

FangX

FangX

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Okay, I asked this question on another forum, but I did not get a way to fix it yet. You can see from my posts from the topic what the problem is, please help me! :

Okay, I installed that Windows Vista Transformer Pack thing that changes your whole computer scheme, icons, sounds, etc.

I was not satisfied with it really, I wanted my original computer back. I unninstalled it, but some of the settings that were on that thing were still here.
Like the icons that changed were still that one, NOT the original.
Like the sound volume one: Posted Image
Even the paint sign, internet explorer, show desktop, etc., they've all changed
too.
Also, when I log in to my Username on my computer(which is the only one), it still shows the Windows Vista name and picture at the top of the log in window instead of Windows XP.

Here's a shot taken of my My Computer, with red circles. Sorry for the super shatty lines, I just did it quickly to post as soon as possible.
http://img134.images...4/4292/2qf5.jpg

And my whole default text for my computer changed too.
Please tell me how to fix it, or better yet, how to put it how it was BEFORE that stupid Vista Transformer thing. I'm desperate, I don't want my computer screwed.
And I had Windows XP setting installed BTW.

I just saw that my System Restore thing was never turned on, so I can't do that..

Scuse me, I'm not too smart with computers, so is formatting like, doing something to completely erase your computer's data, like brand new so all my files will be deleted and everything else?
If that is, I've got SOOOO many freakin buttloads of stuff on my computer that I can't risk getting rid of.

Aren't there like packs of settings that you can dload from the internet of Windows XP settings or something? Or do I just buy another Windows XP CD, install it, and all better? Or i don't even know what I'm talking about..

There has to be other ways.

Yes. But does the Repair feature on the XP CD in any way, get rid of MY files? I don't care about the Vista Transformer Pack of course. And does it gimme back my old original pic icons, text, sounds, etc.?
Lol, you have to be 100% absolutely sure that it doesn't get rid of my stuff, ya still didn't tell me :-P.

Thanks Zman. But StyleXP doesn't have the icons that I had.
These are the kind I had:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

And now I can't seem to find the icon set for these ones anywhere so I can add them into StyleXP, so I can finally be through with this. GAH!

^^ I've tried to do reinstalling and looking around on the transformation package already, nothing about that.

And that program I guess completely deleted my old icons and set these ones as the default ones.
Posted Image

So now I guess that I need to somehow find the real default icon set.
Would it be possible for someone to upload them off their computer..? 'Cause I can't find a download link for it.

Yeah, I am extremely sorry for that long post, but those are my posts from my topic, and you guys pretty much have all the info on whats wrong now.
PLEASE HELP ME GUYS, I NEED MY ORIGINAL COMPUTER BACK :blink: :whistling:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Check in programme files for the transformer folder, move it to my documents and reboot if it is there

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD

Windows File Protection will show an on screen blue progress bar which will simply disappear when the scan is complete, reboot when it does

If you do not have an XP CD you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD

FangX

FangX

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
k wait. Is rebooting also cause you to lose all your files/data? If so, I cant risk losing all my stuff

And which program files? the one from C:\ ? because i cant find a transformers, nor do i know how to reboot BTW.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Reboot = Restart

How long since you installled this?

FangX

FangX

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Um yesterday as in Tuesday.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can run post two and restart the PC when the scan is finished

FangX

FangX

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Do you mean the formatting thing?
If you do, can you tell me how to do it? Imm not too good with computers..
And if it is also, does it completely save all my files?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click the start button

Click run

Type sfc /scannow (with the space)

Press enter

If you click sfc /scannow in post two, it explains it

FangX

FangX

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Should i close everything thats open?
and then ill tell u what happens

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You only need to close the browser etc and any programmes, though you don't need to use task manager

Advertisements

FangX

FangX

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
k for some reason it wont let me print screen this thing. but heres what happenes

this alert popup thing pops up saying
" Files that are required for Windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL Cache.

Insert your Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 CD now.
[Retry] [More Information] [Cancel] "

and i dont think i still have my cd

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can borrow a same version XP CD as you have installed on your PC

FangX

FangX

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
oh ok, ill try to find one asap.
and then ill post here again soon hopefully.

And you said: "If you do not have an XP CD you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD"

Does that mean i need a SP1 now?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did you download SP2 from windows update or was it already installed

FangX

FangX

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
i have no clue, my freind installed my computer stuff, cause he works with computers and hes smart with them, he would help me now, but now i moved states away