Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 2000 reinstall

• Please log in to reply

miraculous

miraculous

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Could someone give me the proper commands to wipe my hard drive for a reinstall.

TIA
Marc

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi miraculous!

When you boot from the Windows 2000 cd, you are able to delete any partitions that are on the hard drive, create a new partition and then format that partition and then Windows will begin to install on the newly created and formatted partition.

Check out THIS GUIDE for step-by-step instructions on how to install Windows 2000.

Fenor

miraculous

miraculous

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I would prefer to wipe the hard drive clean and start again. Have malware and want everything gone-not partitioned. Thanx for your help, but the instructions seem too complicated. LOL!

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
You can't get any easier then step-by-step instructions with picture illustrations. If you can't follow that guide along, then I would highly recommend you don't try to reinstall Windows 2000 yourself.

Fenor

*EDIT* And just to let you know, reparitioning the drive is what you do when you want to 'wipe' the drive clean.

Edited by Fenor, 11 October 2006 - 05:27 PM.

miraculous

miraculous

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Ahhh...The terminology confused me. Read through and wrote out the instructions. Have One question though...what did this line refer to on page three,

Once down setup will be required to reboot, make sure you have to floppies in the drives, and press "ENTER" to speed things up

What floppies are the instructions referring to?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
If you don't know what they are then don't worry about it because you won't have any of them in the floppy drive anyways.

Fenor

*EDIT* -- You said you wrote out the instructions. Printing them out would be alot better if you have a printer available to do so.

Edited by Fenor, 11 October 2006 - 06:26 PM.

miraculous

miraculous

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
No printer...but copied instructions thoroughly.

thanx