Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

On changing two components at one time....

• Please log in to reply

nnaso

nnaso

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I recently fixed 2 laptops on a whim and I'm wondering if anyone knows why it worked...

One time, there was some sort of error and the computer shut off. It would then notn turn back on - no sign of life whatsoever.

For the 2nd laptop, a different time, I was installing a larger hard drive and more RAM on a working computer. I installed them both at the same time, and then attempted to boot from a CD.

For the 1st computer, I couldn't figure out how to get it back on. I randomly decided to remove the battery. It then started up on AC and after putting the battery back in and testing it, it worked fine. The HDD had failed and the OS wouldnt fully load. It basically froze on the desktop. I replaced the hard drive and it runs fine now.

2nd Laptop: I went to turn it on to boot the OS cd, and I got some noises and a blank screen. Nothing. Power cycled and still nothing. I was flipping out - $1000 computer. I tried everything. Installed old HDD, still the problem. Put the original RAM back in. Nothing. I didn't know what to do. Anyway, my problem (after I THANKFULLY on a whim figured it out) was solved by putting original components back in PEREFECTLY as before and REMOVING THE LAPTOP BATTERY.

Does anyone know why removing the battery fixed such an error?

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
One of the reasons i do not like laptops is that when they are running on the battery they are very close to the edge on power supplied. It just does not take much of a problem to cause a non running computer. If you think about it there are only 5 or 6 small contacts to supply the power for the computer to run. Dirty connections, and worn parts can compound the power usage until they barely have enough to keep running. Laptop have power circuits that bypass the battery when you are plugged into an AC outlet. Regulators still control amps used but you notice the display is dimmer when on battery power.

At the same time you are on AC power the laptop has charging circuits that charge the battery. A bad battery can pull enough power from the AC line to cause problems running the laptop. That is why pulling the battery got the laptops running. They were not pulling some of the power to charge the battery and it was enough to get them started.

I have bought many old laptops off Ebay. I have seen and done a lot of things just to get them running and have finally just given up on them. I think they are just to near the edge to use them on a daily basis. They are fine when brand new but after a few years of wear they always seem to have problems.

SRX660

nnaso

nnaso

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I see what you mean, but that doesn't really explain why the 2nd perfectly well-running computer worked with the same fix when too many components had been changed at once. Is there any indication that changing more than one piece of hardware can cause a recognization error and that somehow removing the battery clears some sort of memory of that error and then running on clean AC afterward works as expected?

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Can't say for sure why it worked but I know removing the battery can often "fix" a problematic laptop... Then again completely unplugging a computer will also "fix" some strange errors.... with all the different types of memory in a computer I'd assume something got fouled and needed to be cleared by removing all source of power....