Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Steam/Half-Life 2 Error

• Please log in to reply

EyCroce791

EyCroce791

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello all.

I just purchased Half-Life 2 last Sunday. I've installed it about 4 times (after uninstalling and whatnot) but it still doesn't work. Steam is really messed up. Since Steam is messed, I can't run HL2 nor CS:S (which I need for a LAN party this Wednesday :-/). The error says something like "Your internet may be the problem or the Steam servers are down." I know the servers aren't down because my friends are playing. But one wierd thing I must add is that I was never asked to input a CD key. Should I just return it and get a new one? I'm sick of dealing with this crap. If I do get a new one, should I get another one from Best Buy or straight from Steampowered's site?

If I do get it from Steampowered's site, if I reformat my computer, will I still be able to install it or whatever?

Thanks.

Advertisements

xnarg

xnarg

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I'm no computer expert, but I have played CS for a few years and know my way around Steam somewhat. I'll try my best to help.

Here is my little step by step guide to installing:
1) download Steam from steampowered.com
2) install it and it will auto update
3) if you have an account,go ahead and login. If you don't have an account create one.
4) once you are logged in, there should be a little steam icon in the bottom right part of the screen (I forgot what that thing is called) Right click it, and hit "play games"
5) a little menu will open, find the game you want, and then right click on it and click "install game"
6) it will "pre-load files" or whatever, once it's done, click "play game"
7) Steam will then update whatever game you chose (this took me approx. 11mins)
8) Then just hit "play game"

I reinstalled steam and CS as I typed this.
It worked for me, hope it helps! Good luck!

PS: I also noticed no CD key was required for installation.(Although this may be because I had an account previously)

Agiletheif

Agiletheif

• Pip
  • 2 posts
i cant create a steam account because it says i'm offliner yet i've got broadband :tazz: ;)

xplayar

xplayar

• Pip
  • 3 posts
my steam is working and running fine , the problem is with SteamInstall_CS setup file

i have downloaded it from numerous websites and get the same error

bad installation media or corrupt file in installation,

i keep getting that error

is steam install cs nescessary to play cs, if so what may be the problem?

wrxboy04

wrxboy04

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
are u behind a firewall?

Xaith_Hyne

Xaith_Hyne

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I just purchased Half life 2 and i cannot creat an account and i get a message simillar to this

"The oppertaion cannot be completed when steam is in offline mode"

I utrned off all firewalls and even my spyware programmes but still nothing.

I only have dialup (and where i live it peaks at 28,8k even though i have a 56 K modem) ( i will be getting Satellite internet soon but i want to play my HL2 sooner than later (2 month waiting list))

PS i don't want to play online I just want to be able to play the game that i bought that is not online only

please email me w/ response as i don't have a lot of time to come here and read the forum: Xaith_hyne@hotmail.com

stonersmurf

stonersmurf

• Pip
  • 1 posts
help...... i own game alls good with system i just need a key so i can play i think my dog ate it hahahah no i dont know what happen to sleave it was written on need cd key bad any help

xplayar

xplayar

• Pip
  • 3 posts
no im not behind a firewall, it says i/o error
could this be because i havent downloaded the latest direct x?

it installs fine on my friends computer

ive tried to install steam_cs how many times still same message

Hawker

Hawker

• PipPip
  • 91 posts

PS: I also noticed no CD key was required for installation.(Although this may be because I had an account previously)

View Post

that doesnt seem right....especially since it is CS source. i installed HL2 just fine, all 5 disks, and was prompted for the CD key before i could login to steam. i would check out the valve support forums, rather than trying to download it from steampowered....if you arent connected to steam, thats probably why you havent been prompted for a CD key.

as for being 'offline' to steam, i would try resetting your internet connection, and re-starting steam. i had the same error, i ended steam.exe and resarted it. make sure you dont just 'X' out, because steam minimizes to your toolbar. do the three finger salute, and end the process.
one more thing, go into your steam folder and delete a file named 'clientregistry.blob' and retry it.