Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Quick Time failed to Unregister

• Please log in to reply

gregpio

gregpio

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I am trying to load iTunes and Quick Time onto my computer. But of course there is an error, I swear there always is. I have a previous version of Quick Time already loaded and it has been uninstalled. When I go to the Control Panel\Remove Programs, I can no longer see it. I also looked in the Windows Uninstaller Clean-up and don't see the program there. I have rebooted and tried to find remaining pieces of Quick Time but I can't see anymore pieces of it.

When the new version of Quick Time is installing I receive the following error message:

error 1905. Module
C:\Program Files\Quick Time\QTOControl.dll failed to unregister. HRESULT-217220472

There are two other errors with other .dll files.

I'm assuming it is a Register issue, is there an easy and cheap way to fix this? I am using Window XP operating system. Thank you in advance for your help.

Advertisements

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Hi gregpio,

One thing you could try is setting a restore point then running a registry cleaner such as CCleaner to clean up the registry.

gregpio

gregpio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I tried going back but I've had the previous version of Quick Time on my PC for months. I did go back a week though and tried reinstalling hte updates and received the following message.

Quicktime failed to initialize. Error #-2093
Please make sure Quicktime is properly intalled on this computer.

My response to Apple would be. No it isn't properly installed this is why I'm getting this error.

I then get teh the following programs were not able to be unregisterd:

QTOControl.dll
QTOLibrary.dll
QTUIPanelControl.dll
QuickTimeCheck.ocx

I then got this error:

Could not open Key:
HKEY.Local Machine\Software\Classes\QuickTimePlayerLib.QuickTimePlayApp\CLSID. Verify that you have sufficient access to that key or contact your support personnel.

This is unreal, I can't load the program because there is an error with the program. This is driving me insane.

The first suggestion was a good first attempt, do you have any additional ideas. I'm getting very frustrated with this program. I don't think I ever used it before.

Thanks for the help

gregpio

gregpio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I was able to get teh unregistered error to stop. I must have run CCleaner 10 times before the error stopped. I continue to get the sufficient access error, which doesn't make sense since I am the admin and only user on my personal Dell PC.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Try setting up another user account with admin rights.

gregpio

gregpio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I was finally able to get Quicktime off and reloaded. I had to go into regedit and change permissions on a bunch of keys but I was able to fix the problem. I can paste steps that I found on an Apple thread if anyone needs it

jrh1234

jrh1234

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am having this exact same problem and would appreciate the steps you used to resolve it. If you can respond or direct me that would be excellent. I appreciate any assistance.

Thanks,

RFAggie

RFAggie

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I am having this exact same problem and would appreciate the steps you used to resolve it. If you can respond or direct me that would be excellent. I appreciate any assistance.

Thanks,

Did you get the steps to resolve it? I have the same issue.

Thanks

gregpio

gregpio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Here is a link to the Apple.com site that I finally got my answer (http://discussions.a...3335536#3335536) and the test of that message fom PrimusBodacious. Make sure you follow it step by step. When you fix the REGEDIT for the first item, it will expand to show sub folders that include CLSID. At first I didn't wait for this step and found a CLSID folder on its own. I modified that key and Windows gave me an error that my version of Windows was counterfeit. Make sure you make a copy of your registry before messing with it. The Recall program saved me after this error. Good luck.

I would like to thank all the posters who replied. Everyone added important information to help figure this out.

Here's what I did, step by step.

1) Click Start, then Run, then type regedit and press OK.
2) Open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SOFTWARE, then Classes. Scroll down to QuickTimePlayerLib.QuickTimePlayerApp (or whatever key that you're getting an Access Denied error)
3) Right click on it (you might have to do it twice).
4) Select Permissions after ignoring any messages telling you that you don't have access
5) Once inside Permissions, click Advanced, then Owner, then click on your account, then press Apply, then OK
6) Next click Add, then Advanced, then Find Now
7) Hold down the CTRL key and click on Administrators, your own account, and SYSTEM
8) Click on Administrators, then click the Full Control checkbox. The "Read" checkbox will automatically get checked, then press Apply
9) Do this for each account. Hopefully once you do it for Administrators the others will already have Full Control checked and "Apply" will be greyed out. Press OK when you're done.
10) Next click on CLSID back in the registry editor and repeat steps 3 through 9.
11) Try installing Quicktime again and when you get another Access Denied error, note the registry key and go back and repeat steps 2 through 9 for that key.
12) Keeping trying to install Quicktime until you've resolved all the permissions for all the keys that this pathetic setup script requires
13) Eventually it will install successfully.

ksmith1104

ksmith1104

• Pip
  • 1 posts
:whistling: I too am having a great deal of difficulty with itunes and Quicktime. It all started when I downloaded

Itunes. I now cannot get any jpegs, quicktime or Itunes. I have tried restore, no effect, I've tried removal and

reload, no effect. Here are the error messages I get when attempting to open either Itunes or Quicktime. Oh, I can't uninstall either.

1. quicktime failed to initalize error #2095
2.Itunes.exe is not a valid Win32 application
3.The details of the error indicate a lot of stuff I have no idea about

I also believe my computers other operator was shutting down by turning off the power with applications open, which may have contributed to the problem.

What to do?