Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

I gota Free Laptop, windows wont work...?

• Please log in to reply

ditzychic23

ditzychic23

• Pip
  • 4 posts
] :help: Okay my brother in law gave me his old Jetta laptop ( of course i will take a free computer) But for some reason i cant sign in to Windows (it wants me to downlad it or register online, problem being that it wont connect even when directly pluged in to the high speed!) What can i do to get my laptop running? I also have a program i think called Lenox that i rather use than windows (i think, but if you look at my user name you can tell im not good with computers so i dont know what would be better) Can you help? Thanx a bunch! :) :blink: :whistling:

Edited by ditzychic23, 11 October 2006 - 09:16 PM.

Advertisements

HPDV8315LOVER

HPDV8315LOVER

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
If you gonna use Linox, You can start by reformatting your drive. Then, install Linox. Simple as that. :whistling:

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Ok he didnt register that copy of windows and dont do it either because only one key works for one copy of windows.

Reformatt your drive and install

"Lenox"??

you mean Linux? LOL

ditzychic23

ditzychic23

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
:blink: :whistling: Thank you so much guys!!!! Sorry im not all that great with computers, umm...how do i re-format my drive?

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Do you have a copy of Windows XP?

ditzychic23

ditzychic23

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
No i dont have a copy of windows, can i download a copy ? And again, thank you for your help! :rofl: :whistling: :rofl: :) :blink: :help:

HPDV8315LOVER

HPDV8315LOVER

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
How can you download Windows if you gonna formatted your hard drive?

Fakeor

Fakeor

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Run ur BIOS, change the boot system to boot up from ur CD-Drive, with ur Linux CD of course! Then follow instructions there! The CD(Linux) will also ask u if u want to format the computer before installing the OS, choose yes!(At least it does that on Windows, so it should be common for every OS)

If you don't have a Linux CD(You said u had), then just download and burn it...(Don't ask how, pirate isnt allowed)

ditzychic23

ditzychic23

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I can use a friends computer to burn a copy of windows, thats what i meant. Thats how i got the Linux CD. Well i am going to take these suggestions to someone who may understand what to do a little better than myself and see what happens. Thank you all so much! Your the best!!!!