Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What exactly is a Dialer?

• Please log in to reply

zowiemagic

zowiemagic

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I downloaded the trial version of Pest Patrol and it told me that I had trojan.win32.dialer.hc on my system. I ran Xsoft, AVG Pro and Stopsign and none of them saw it... Does this mean I need to fork out money to buy yet ANOTHER virus protection program? ** sigh **

And what exactly does a dialer do? I read on the AVG site that one way to protect against a dialer was to jack your security up to HIGH in Internet Options on the control panel - that way no cookies could get through. Any other precautions I could take - I'm even afraid of getting on the Net now for fear this dialer will take over and hang up on my ISP and call some other ISP, all without my knowing about it.... Is that what a dialer does? :whistling:

Thanks!

Laurie

Advertisements