Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Task Manager disabled, can't change homepage

• Please log in to reply

1Happy1Anger

1Happy1Anger

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello.

Ok, here's the situation. There are two accounts in this version of XP which is on a home computer, both are administrators (in name), but I'm really the only one who uses it (as opposed to most of my family). The other account is fine--I don't have problems opening the task manager, and there isn't an annoying web address at the top of the browser window ("webhosting [url="http://termex18388.googlepages.com/index.html")"]http://termex18388.googlepages.com/index.html")[/url].

However, there's a problem when I do the same things on my account. I can't open the task manager (and I know I didn't disable it). There's that annoying address at the top of the browser window. I can't change my homepage (and you can't do that when logged into the other account either, but the address is absent).

I uninstalled a long inactive Norton Internet Security package and installed one from AOL 9.0. There were a couple pieces of spyware which were detected, and I gave the green light to block and delete them, and nothing's changed. And to add insult to injury, since I thought the problem would be automatically fixed and the pieces of spyware weren't anything I recognized, I didn't write them down, and I don't know what was deleted--they seemed unessential anyway.

So, after that long spiel, here's my HJT log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 12:44:10 AM, on 10/12/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\acsd.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1158786639\ee\services\safetyCore\ver2_5_4_1\aolavupd.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\ANTIVI~1\mcshield.exe
C:\Program Files\mcafee.com\personal firewall\MPFService.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\VAIO Entertainment\VzCdb\VzFw.exe
C:\Program Files\Sony\vaio media integrated server\VMISrv.exe
C:\Program Files\Sony\vaio media integrated server\Video\GPVSvr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Sony\vaio media integrated server\Platform\SV_Httpd.exe
C:\Program Files\Sony\vaio media integrated server\Platform\SV_Httpd.exe
C:\Program Files\Sony\Giga Pocket\RM_SV.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\AGRSMMSG.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Sonysys\VAIO Recovery\reminder.exe
C:\Program Files\Sony\VAIO Update 2\VAIOUpdt.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ezSP_Px.exe
C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1158786639\ee\AOLSoftware.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1158786639\ee\services\safetyCore\ver2_5_4_1\AOLSP Scheduler.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\Program Files\mcafee.com\antivirus\oasclnt.exe
C:\Program Files\mcafee.com\antivirus\mcvsescn.exe
C:\Program Files\mcafee.com\personal firewall\MPfTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1158786639\ee\aolsoftware.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\tunebite\tunebite.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1158786639\ee\SSCEvtHdlr.exe
C:\Program Files\America Online 9.0\aoltray.exe
C:\Program Files\sony\usbsircs\usbsircs.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\ymsgr_tray.exe
C:\Program Files\America Online 9.0\waol.exe
C:\Program Files\America Online 9.0\shellmon.exe
C:\Program Files\America Online 9.0\aolwbspd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\AcroRd32Info.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Dante Delosreyes\My Documents\Mikey's Stash\HijackThis1.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://www.yahoo.com/search/ie.html
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.sony.com/vaiopeople
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.sony.com/vaiopeople
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://us.rd.yahoo.c...//www.yahoo.com
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Webhosting http://termex18388.g....com/index.html
R3 - URLSearchHook: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn0\yt.dll
N3 - Netscape 7: user_pref("browser.search.defaultengine", "engine://C%3A%5CProgram%20Files%5CNetscape%5CNetscape%5Csearchplugins%5CSBWeb_01.src"); (C:\Documents and Settings\Dante Delosreyes\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\w7hvnyi9.slt\prefs.js)
O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Toolbar Helper - {02478D38-C3F9-4EFB-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn0\yt.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Yahoo! IE Services Button - {5BAB4B5B-68BC-4B02-94D6-2FC0DE4A7897} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\yiesrvc.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: Easy-WebPrint - {327C2873-E90D-4c37-AA9D-10AC9BABA46C} - C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Toolband.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn0\yt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AGRSMMSG] AGRSMMSG.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CreateCD_Reminder] C:\WINDOWS\Sonysys\VAIO Recovery\reminder.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VAIO Update 2] "C:\Program Files\Sony\VAIO Update 2\VAIOUpdt.exe" /Stationary
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ezShieldProtector for Px] C:\WINDOWS\System32\ezSP_Px.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VAIO Recovery] C:\WINDOWS\Sonysys\VAIO Recovery\PartSeal.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RealTray] C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Task Manager] C:\WINDOWS\svchost32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HostManager] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1158786639\ee\AOLSoftware.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AOLSPScheduler] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1158786639\ee\services\safetyCore\ver2_5_4_1\AOLSP Scheduler.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [sscRun] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1158786639\ee\SSCRun.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [OASClnt] C:\Program Files\mcafee.com\antivirus\oasclnt.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EmailScan] C:\Program Files\mcafee.com\antivirus\mcvsescn.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MPFExe] C:\Program Files\mcafee.com\personal firewall\MPfTray.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [tunebite.exe] C:\Program Files\tunebite\tunebite.exe -hidden
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Yahoo! Pager] "C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\YahooMessenger.exe" -quiet
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [updateMgr] C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\AdobeUpdateManager.exe AcRdB7_0_5
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: America Online 9.0 Tray Icon.lnk = C:\Program Files\America Online 9.0\aoltray.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Quicken Scheduled Updates.lnk = C:\Program Files\Quicken\bagent.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Remocon Driver.lnk = ?
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
O7 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System, DisableRegedit=1
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Translate English Word - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmwordtrans.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint Add To Print List - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Resource.dll/RC_AddToList.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint High Speed Print - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Resource.dll/RC_HSPrint.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint Preview - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Resource.dll/RC_Preview.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint Print - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Resource.dll/RC_Print.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate Page into English - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_01\bin\npjpi142_01.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_01\bin\npjpi142_01.dll
O9 - Extra button: Yahoo! Services - {5BAB4B5B-68BC-4B02-94D6-2FC0DE4A7897} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\yiesrvc.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Related - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: Yahoo! Messenger - {E5D12C4E-7B4F-11D3-B5C9-0050045C3C96} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\YahooMessenger.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger - {E5D12C4E-7B4F-11D3-B5C9-0050045C3C96} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\YahooMessenger.exe
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.sony.com/vaiopeople
O16 - DPF: {30528230-99f7-4bb4-88d8-fa1d4f56a2ab} (YInstStarter Class) - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\yinsthelper.dll
O16 - DPF: {4989312D-58CF-11D5-A7D7-00E02911103E} (Interealty MultiSelect) - http://las.mlxchange...ectComboBox.cab
O16 - DPF: {4C39376E-FA9D-4349-BACC-D305C1750EF3} (EPUImageControl Class) - http://tools.ebayimg...l_v1-0-3-48.cab
O16 - DPF: {6FD482A3-7B57-438B-B040-52CAA30147EE} (MLXchange Client Utils) - http://las.mlxchange...ClientUtils.cab
O16 - DPF: {83AB6E4D-CDD7-11D3-B5E7-00104B9AFF6E} (GeacRevw Control) - http://las.mlxchange...ol/IRCSharc.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{748E9273-5FBD-4268-8117-43319F8869B5}: NameServer = 205.188.146.145
O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igfxsrvc.dll
O23 - Service: AOL Connectivity Service (AOL ACS) - America Online, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\acsd.exe
O23 - Service: AOL Antivirus Update Service (aolavupd) - AOL LLC - C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1158786639\ee\services\safetyCore\ver2_5_4_1\aolavupd.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPodService - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee McShield (McShield) - McAfee Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\ANTIVI~1\mcshield.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Personal Firewall Service (MpfService) - McAfee Corporation - C:\Program Files\mcafee.com\personal firewall\MPFService.exe
O23 - Service: PACSPTISVR - Unknown owner - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SONYSH~1\AVLib\PACSPT~1.EXE
O23 - Service: Sony TV Tuner Controller - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Sony\Giga Pocket\halsv.exe
O23 - Service: Sony TV Tuner Manager - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Sony\Giga Pocket\RM_SV.exe
O23 - Service: Sony SPTI Service (SPTISRV) - Sony Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SONYSH~1\AVLib\Sptisrv.exe
O23 - Service: VAIO Entertainment Aggregation and Control Service - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\VAIO Entertainment\VzRs\VzRs.exe
O23 - Service: VAIO Entertainment File Import Service - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\VAIO Entertainment\VzCdb\VzFw.exe
O23 - Service: VAIO Entertainment TV Device Arbitration Service - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\VAIO Entertainment\VzCs\VzHardwareResourceManager\VzHardwareResourceManager.exe
O23 - Service: VAIO Entertainment UPnP Client Adapter - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\VAIO Entertainment\VCSW\VCSW.exe
O23 - Service: VAIO Media Integrated Server (VAIOMediaPlatform-IntegratedServer-AppServer) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Sony\vaio media integrated server\VMISrv.exe
O23 - Service: VAIO Media Integrated Server (HTTP) (VAIOMediaPlatform-IntegratedServer-HTTP) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Sony\vaio media integrated server\Platform\SV_Httpd.exe" /Service=VAIOMediaPlatform-IntegratedServer-HTTP /RegRoot="SOFTWARE\Sony Corporation\VAIO Media Platform\2.0" /RegExt="Applications\IntegratedServer\HTTP (file missing)
O23 - Service: VAIO Media Integrated Server (UPnP) (VAIOMediaPlatform-IntegratedServer-UPnP) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Sony\vaio media integrated server\Platform\UPnPFramework.exe
O23 - Service: VAIO Media Gateway Server (VAIOMediaPlatform-Mobile-Gateway) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Sony\vaio media integrated server\Platform\VmGateway.exe" /Service=VAIOMediaPlatform-Mobile-Gateway /RegRoot="SOFTWARE\Sony Corporation\VAIO Media Platform\2.0" /RegExt="\Addons\Packages\Mobile\Gateway" /DisplayName="VAIO Media Gateway Server (file missing)
O23 - Service: VAIO Media Video Server (VAIOMediaPlatform-VideoServer-AppServer) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Sony\vaio media integrated server\Video\GPVSvr.exe" /Service=VAIOMediaPlatform-VideoServer-AppServer /DisplayName="VAIO Media Video Server (file missing)
O23 - Service: VAIO Media Video Server (HTTP) (VAIOMediaPlatform-VideoServer-HTTP) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Sony\vaio media integrated server\Platform\SV_Httpd.exe" /Service=VAIOMediaPlatform-VideoServer-HTTP /RegRoot="SOFTWARE\Sony Corporation\VAIO Media Platform\2.0" /RegExt="\Applications\VideoServer\HTTP (file missing)
O23 - Service: VAIO Media Video Server (UPnP) (VAIOMediaPlatform-VideoServer-UPnP) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Sony\vaio media integrated server\Platform\UPnPFramework.exe
O23 - Service: WAN Miniport (ATW) Service (WANMiniportService) - America Online, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe

Help. Please. Help me. Thank you!

Advertisements

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Hi 1Happy1Anger,

You have found a few nasties somewhere so it seems.

Frst we need to get your Taskmanager back to work.

Open Notepad. Click Start>Run, type Notepad, then press Enter.
Copy and paste the following:
On Error Resume Next
Set shl = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
Set fso = CreateObject("scripting.FileSystemObject")
shl.RegDelete "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\DisableRegistryTools"
shl.RegDelete "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\DisableTaskMgr"
shl.RegDelete "HKU\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\DisableRegistryTools"
shl.RegDelete "HKU\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\DisableTaskMgr"
Save this file as sohanad.VBS.
Click Start>Run, type sohanad.VBS, then press Enter.
Click Yes at the prompt of the message box.
Click Ok.

Then run HijackThis and put a checkmark before these lines:

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Webhosting http://termex18388.g....com/index.html
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Task Manager] C:\WINDOWS\svchost32.exe
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
O7 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System, DisableRegedit=1

Then click Fix checked and reboot the computer.

Find this file and delete it:
C:\WINDOWS\svchost32.exe

Test if your Taskmanager still works when you are done.
Then update McAfee and run a full system scan.

Regards,

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
In my PM

Dear Pieter,

I followed the directions you gave to me, and everything's running smoothly again.

Thank you so much for your help.

:whistling:

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Hi 1Happy1Anger,

Glad to hear all is well, but I would like to see a fresh HijackThis log.

Regards,