Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can surf only in safe mode

• Please log in to reply

whalermatt

whalermatt

• Pip
  • 3 posts
i have xp sp2
i can only surf in safe mode
under any name me ,owner,admin ect
in normal all i can do from all user is ping url or ip
with no problem

what is so different in save mode i thought it was mostly about drivers in save mode

no spyware

i had this happen once and found some thing called net.net or something

clean Registry
but even spyware would effect save mode right
im so lost help

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Safe mode is a diagnostic mode used mainly to determine if something that starts with the PC is causing the problem being experienced. Safe mode with network loads only the driveers and services needed to connect to a network(i.e your ISP)

What you have is a program that starts with your PC that think you shouldn't connect to the internet with your browser because you can 'ping out'. Check the controls on your Security software (Norton ,Mcafee,Trendmicro,SpySweeper) and be sure it's not blocking your browser.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Just some advise, if you don't have spyware now you will if you continue to surf in safe mode. As silverbeard has mentioned, safe mode with networking only runs the programs required to run windows and your internet, meaning that all security software will be disabled.
First do as silverbeard has mentioned, make sure that if you have any security software that it be place to the lowest protection rating, if you can then use the internet raise it back up to around medium so that you still have a fair amount of protection.
If you you are unsure of how to do so please post your security programs and we will try to guide you though step by step.
Also what makes you believe that spyware may not have a role wiht whats going on here?
Once again please refrain from surfing in safe mode, i'd be better if you contacted us from another computer as if your not infected already you will become so in the near future.
thanx
James

Edited by james_8970, 13 October 2006 - 02:46 PM.