Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU fan probs

• Please log in to reply

mutley249

mutley249

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
(sigh) ok then...

I tried to turn my pc on this morning and all I got was a series of constant beeps, with the warning on screen '!CPUFAN NOT WORKING CORRECTLY' I unplugged my system whipped the back off to investigate, all seemed fine though just to be sure I gave the heatsing and fan a clean, it was a bit dusty.

I plugged everything back in and still the same thing happened, so unplugged everything again took the back off left the power supply in and the noise from the fan was terrible. (I have noticed that the fan is getting nosier in the AM but after about 10-15 mins continues at normal sound levels.) I slackened the screws holding the fan down, turnedon and still the annoying beeps hmphh!

After about 2hrs of messing and trying to slacken screws and tighten gradually to eliminate noise, I decide to try something, I took the fan from the cpu holding the fan in my fingers, switched the damned thing on only to hear the reasuring single bleep and the pc go to normal startup routine. I promptly switched the pc off and reattached the fan only to be back at sqaure one!!! could it be that by screwing the fan back on I am putting too much pressure on the CPU? Just seems very odd that when I remove the fan from the HS it goes into the normal routine, as soon as I reattach it goes into devil mode!

Any help would be appreciated

Neil

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Is the fan actually spinning?

What you've probably done inadvertedly is screwed the fan down in such a way that the blades are catching on the fins of the heatsink. Or alternatively there's another wire from somewhere stopping the fan from spinning. The board complains because the fan isn't spinning at a decent enough RPM, therefore if it posts normally without the fan even being on the heatsink, it usually means its catching on something.

Also be aware that the fans are designed to be blowing down ONTO the heatsink, not extracting heat away from it. Some fans, by their design, won't spin at all if they're facing the wrong way on something like the heatsink.

mutley249

mutley249

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi Neil

Thanks for replying. Having checked my terminal connections, everything seems fine, I take my fan off the heatsink and it goes into normal startup though have noticed that the fan spins a lot faster when not screwed down. I have tried gradually tightening the screws down in a diagonal sequence so as to try and get the same amount of pressure all round to no avail. No other wires are catching, as I have cable tied all wires out of the way of the fan. This fan can only go one way as the top has a recess for the screw heads.

I downloaded motherboard monitor yesterday and after many attempts eventually got my system to boot with the fan attached, though at idle my cpu temp was 67 degrees c!! after about 10 mins of idle the cpu tem,p hit 72 and had to switch it off. at this moment in time I have taken the fan off the heatsink and have got a desktop fan blowing directly into the case aimed at the heatsink (not idela I know) even I have got Autocad open with a very graphics intense drawingwhilst typing this email and the cpu temp hasnt risen above 56 with a low of 53, so hopefully short term (ie today only) this may well do. Would you suggest getting a new fan?

Neil

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This may be a problem with the fan, but buying a new one can't hurt, even if it doesn't solve it. You need one that's rated for working with a processor though so you may have to replace the entire heatsink.

You can get a new cooling solution that basically uses the same sort of setup you have now - that is, the fan isn't actually connected to the heatsink itself but hovers above it. It basically looks like this:
http://www.quietpc.c...g/cnps6000-alcu

mutley249

mutley249

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Well I have just fitted a new fan and heatsink and everything seems to be working ok, its even a damned sight quieter. The best 7.99 ive spent to date!!

I think this can be flagged as resolved now.

Many thanks Neil for your help and advice.

Neil