- Removed all hardware devices (incl CD-roms) except the hard-drive
- Tried a different harddrive
- Installed a new power supply
- Swapped around my two 512M memory sticks, running on one or the other in both slots. (One stick came with computer, the other was purchased about a month or two ago.)
- Wiped the hd and tried re-installing windows. It starts, but then stops. Can't get past the "installing devices" portion
- Tried a different OS (Ubuntu linux)
- Tried a different OS (Debian linux)
- Tried various different BIOS setting changes (including changing HD to LARGE and resetting to fail-safe defaults)
... that is to say it will remain on indefinitely on the BIOS screen -- or the occasional BSOD, which by the way says something like DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
All of this leads me to the conclusion that it's probably a hardware problem and that it's either the motherboard or the CPU (since nothing else is connected.) How can I figure out which one, without buying a new CPU or motherboard. If it's the motherboard, I don't want to have buy a second CPU.
Any help would be greatly, GREATLY appreciated.