Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Defrag problems

• Please log in to reply

Ed Burls

Ed Burls

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I'm in the process of cleaning up my girlfriends laptop which I suspect hasn't been cleaned up or defragmented since she bought it two years ago. Its running pretty slowly and the fan is on full time.

WhenI try to defrag I get the message:

Disk Defragmentor has detected the chkdsk is scheduled to run on the volume: ERGO (c:)

Please run Chkdsk /f

When I run chkdsk /f
or chkdsk /f/r
or try and run it from right clicking on c:> propoerties> tools and ticking the two check boxes.

and then restart the computer I get the folowing message during restart:

The type of file system is NTFS
Checking the type of the file system is NTFS
Cannot open Volume for direct access
Windows has finished checking the disk

I've run speedefrag and am dubious as to whether its doing anything. After restarting computer it loads up the desk top background and then computer shuts down after a minute without anthing else happening.

She's got Windows XP

Also running it in safe mode it freezes mid flow. One problem at a time though but I thought it was farily signficant.

Thanks very much for looking at this

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Boot off an XP CD (any XP CD will do as long as it lets you get to the Recovery Console) and run Chkdsk from there.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Please read this article by Microsoft.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823439

You can also try this.

That error means that the disk checking needs a "locked" disk; if the
computer is running normally, the disk contents are continuously being
changed and the check fails. From the run command type: cmd[enter].
This opens the command window, type: chkdsk[space]/f. chkdsk runs,
reports the disk is not locked, and invites you to do the check on the
next reboot. Type "y", then reboot, and chkdsk will run.

NOTE: You may have success if you schedule Chkdsk to run at startup and use the /X switch, which will force a dismount.

Heres what chkdsk /x does.

/x : Use with NTFS only. Forces the volume to dismount first, if necessary. All open handles to the drive are invalidated. /x also includes the functionality of /f.

This problem can also be caused by having the Zone Alarm firewall version 5 on your computer.

SRX660

Ed Burls

Ed Burls

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Oh dear. It didn't have SP2. I've now installed that and many other updates and Chkdsk and defrag both work fine now.

However, I am now having a problem at Start up. When the Windows logo comes up with a black screen it just freezes. It works fine a second time if you turn off, wait 30 seconds and turn back on. I'm considering doing a system restore or reinstalling Windows. What would you recommend.

Your help in rescuing me from my ineptitude is very much appreciated.

Ed

System101

System101

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
Try a restore first, but if you do that the updates you just installed will disappear and you will have to reinstall them. i usually copy updates on a flash drive (when able to), this way I will have the updates in case something happens.

Reinstalling the OS should be a last resort.