Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Taking good care of an LCD

• Please log in to reply

DA IMP

DA IMP

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hello everyone.

I've been wondering, since I bought my 17-inch LCD monitor some 4 months ago...what should I do to take best care of it?

I bought it this nice, sort of foamy cover, like those for CRT monitors, but thicker and of much higher quality (sorry, english not being my native tongue, I don't quite find the right term). It's not very thick, but it keeps dust off of it when not used.
Maybe it should be thicker, to provide better protection against accidents...I don't know its exact materials, I can find out and take pictures of it even, to show you people and see if you have anything important to say about it.

In any case, my point is about proper maintenance. Like, how to clean off the dust without risking to do something to the delicate surface, and whatever other things that aren't necessarily obvious. Is it safe at all to touch it, really? I already almost kill an uncle who put his fingertip on it and caused a small ripple in the picture for a moment there...

I'm extremely delicate and extra careful with my belongings (many of them being electronics or brittle books), but I still think I may be missing something, since this hardware is still a mystery to me for the most part.

Besides, the LCDs are part of the new computer hypes, and as a tech support kind of guy, I'll find it quite useful to know these bits.

Thank you all in advance, and best of luck. Bye! :whistling:

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Light pressure across the screen with a normal duster/damp cloth is all you need do on occasion. Putting your finger on the screen doesn't do damage as long as you don't press excessively hard - it only leaves a fingerprint which can be wiped off.

TFT/LCD monitors don't suffer as much from dust as CRT monitors do - the ventilation vent is a lot smaller and thus less prone to pulling something in, but dust is a natural part of the atmosphere anyway.

Don't hold magnetic screwdrivers near the screen either for extended periods, these really upset the things.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
LCD is fairly resilient you can touch it just not to hard and obviously you would need to clean after, on a laptop you cant touch the screens as hard which is the only thing to note, other than that they dont need mcuh maintencance a bit of warm soapy water on a cloth wring till moist and wipe it down once in a while thats all, excessive pressure or magnets will damage it but CRTs were the same and LCDs are a little more resilient to magnets and force wise it takes alot to break one.