Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

USB Device Driver not found

• Please log in to reply

agsev66

agsev66

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm a first time user here so please bear with me. I have a PNY flashdrive that is not being detected by my desktop. The flash drive works on my laptop. Update Wizard cannot seem to find the driver everytime I would try to update the driver. I checked the BIOS and USB is ON. Tried removing the Generic Hub and rebooted as suggested in one topic but it failed as well to automatically install the drive. Now I have 2 yellow ? under Other Devices when in fact I have the USB Controllers at the bottom.

Would appreciate any help you can provide as I've been with this problem for months.

Thanks!

Advertisements

agsev66

agsev66

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The USB device however are detected when I plug in my digital camera whose driver I downloaded previously. I plugged in a USB mouse and it doesn't detect it either.

Thanks again.

agsev66

agsev66

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
By the way, I already updated to Windows Service Pack 2 and it still doesn't work.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if you are using xp...go to the device manager and uninstall the USB controlers ...reboot and let windows "find " the new hardware...it should install generic drivers that should work

agsev66

agsev66

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the reply happyrck.

I did as you instructed, I uninstalled all USB controllers and rebooted. However, it failed to install generic drivers and I end up with 5 new yellow question marks on top of the one I used to get with the USB flashdrive. Also, after that, it fails to detect my printer connected to the USB port on the back. So I cannot print. I tried re-installing the printer driver but it fails to detect one and fails. If it helps any, I just added a DVD/RW drive and it fails to detect it either and install the driver.

Appreciate your continuous help... please.

System101

System101

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
Go to the manufactorer of your computer(or USB hub if purchased later) and download and install the latest drivers for your USB hub.

This may help

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go to the computer manufacture's site and get ALL the drivers for your model...make sure you get the chipset drivers

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
Sometime u need 2 reset the computer in between.
Try 2 disconnect the usb connections then delete the
usb connections and re install. (try to download the board drivers)
reset and then connect.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
To achieve proper USB connectivity six basic system elements must be present and working correctly.

1) Support from the BIOS

2) Support from the Operating System

3) Physical USB ports

4) A USB Device

5) The correct USB cable for the device

6) Drivers either from the OS and/or the peripheral maker

start here...

BIOS Settings

Common BIOS Problems

Many USB Problems are the result of improper settings in the BIOS. To achieve proper USB connectivity the BIOS needs to be a properly working partner.

Enable USB in the BIOS

USB is often disabled by Default in the BIOS. To enable USB in the BIOS one or more of the following statements must be true.

USB Keyboard - DOS or Enabled (Even if you have NO USB Keyboard)

Legacy USB Support - Enabled

and/or

Assign IRQ for USB - Enabled (Some combinations of OS and BIOS version require this setting to be Disabled).

If there are NO references to USB in the BIOS setup, your BIOS Version Needs To Be Updated.