Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't fix IE with options on this forum

• Please log in to reply

Late Lee

Late Lee

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello people. I recently made a mistake by shutting down my security to do some offline work, then going online without any protection before i realized it. Hence, I was rewarded with a Reg/Seeker trojan. I have cleaned the trojan, and can't find any evidence of spyware/malware remaining on my PC.
I do however have some problems. My internet browsing seems to work ok except when I try to check internet mail (yahoo and comcast). When I click a mail-related link, the browsers(IE, Firefox, and Opera) either don't change pages, stick while loading, show a blank page, or my Pc crashes with an IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_EQUAL error screen. I read on here about some fixes, such as repairing IE through add/remove program option, and searching for the IE.INF file and all that. But IE doesn't show up in my add/remove list, and a search of my pc according to the instructions does not locate an IE.INF file anywhere on my pc. Does anyone know a solution for this problem short of a system recovery? I guess i could dump and re-install firefox, but I installed Opera after the problem started, and it seemed to inherit the problem, so i'm guessing this is a Windows problem?
Thanks for any help.

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Late Lee
to find inf files right click on start>explore>tools>folder options>view
then click on show hidden files. click ok can you find the inf file now?

Late Lee

Late Lee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks, i found the ie.inf file. But when i right click, and click install, it asks me for the windows sp2 cd. when i insert the cd, it says it can't locate the file. What do i do? thanks.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Start your computer insert the xp disc
choose install optional windows components
Choose Internet explorer.