Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cannot open .exe-files!

• Please log in to reply

Trum

Trum

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
when i doubleclick my .exe files, they become "cut"... when i try to run them in the "run-window", my computer does not know how to open them, and gives me an option to use my internet to find a way to open them, but i can't open my internet explorer...

there's something weird in my registry to; ( HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command\="%1"%* )
but i can't get into my regedit to fix it..

please help, what can i do..

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Trum...

That particular key does not appear to be the problem...the value is correct.

It sounds like something has changed the .exe file association...malware may very well be the culprit here. Try two commands from Task Manager to verify this.

From Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del), click "File" and choose "New Task". Type cmd in the run box and press "Enter". Does this bring up the command window? If no, try cmd.exe and press "Enter"...how about now.

If the second command does bring up the window. We'll need to try to get to the Registry Editor using Windows Explorer...From Task Manager/New Task, type explorer.exe and press "Enter". Does Windows Explorer open?

If yes, in the left pane, navigate to C:\WINDOWS\system32 (click on System32), locate and double click on the regedt32.exe icon. This should open the Advanced Registry Editor.

If the Registry Editor opens, in the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SOFTWARE, then Microsoft, then Windows NT, then CurrentVersion, and click on Winlogon.

In the right pane, scroll down to Shell. If the value (under the Data column) is not Explorer.exe, double click on Shell, type Explorer.exe in the Value Data field, and click "Ok".

Close all open windows and reboot.

Do your programs now open?

wannabe1

Trum

Trum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
sorry, but no .exe file will open... i'm starting to give up here...

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Don't give up yet...we still have options. :whistling:

Tell me just what WILL open...

Task Manager? (Ctrl + Alt + Delete)

Start Menu? (click Start or press "Windows logo" key)

Trum

Trum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
yep, those things open.. it is only the .exe-files that doesn't open,,,

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
We'll have to get to one of the registry editors or a command prompt.

Open Task Manager, click "File" on the toolbar, and choose "New Task"...does the Run window open?

Trum

Trum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
yep, the run window opens

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Type regedt32.exe and press "Enter"...what happens? Be exact...this is not regedit.

Trum

Trum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
a window opens; "can not open file, regedt32.exe. file can not open unless windows knows what program created it. an automatic search can be done on the internet, or you can manually choose between a list of programs on your computer." "what do you want to do?; use your web-service to find the right program, or, choose program from a list."

what now?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Choose program a list.

Navigate to C:\Windows\Explorer and click "Ok"...does it open?

Trum

Trum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
it still won't open...

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Reboot and tap the F8 key during boot up until you receive the Safe Mode Options screen. Use the arrow keys to select the option with a command prompt and press "Enter".

Type %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe at the command prompt, and then press "Enter"...Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state. Choose a date before this problem began.

Are you able to do this?

Trum

Trum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
i have already tried it, the problem came forth last night, and i restored the computer to a restorepoint which was a month ago..

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Have you tried this REPAIR to your installation of XP? Depending on the XP installation cd you have, this may be a good option.

Trum

Trum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
okey, i'll try that:)