Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Difference between the original processor and the Duo processor?

• Please log in to reply

Japstar

Japstar

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
Hey

Can someone please tell me the difference between the original intel processor (i.e the ones that went up to 3.06GHz) to the new duo processor chips (which is aroung 1.66GHz)?

Which one is better?

Japstar

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Original Intel? whats that do you mean pentium brand, if you do we would need to know which model is it a P1,2,3 or 4 or it a HT, M or D.

The duos are the new intel brand a core 1 is better than most pentiums except maybe the better Ds and high clocked Ms. The core2s are pretty much better than anything.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
the core duo's will do much better at running several apps at the same time or any multithreaded app like photoshop...with that said I have a single P4 3.0 GHz northwood thats overclocked to 3.6 GHz...and its hyper threaded and shows up as 2 processors but its not a true duel core cpu and depending on the app run which would be faster...anything single threaded... mine would whip the core duo because of the clock speed difference...but running several apps at once the core duo should be faster than mine because my cpu is deviding the computing power of the single processor and the core duo's are actually 2 processors on the same chip

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
trying to attach a clear copy

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

the core duo's will do much better at running several apps at the same time or any multithreaded app like photoshop...with that said I have a single P4 3.0 GHz northwood thats overclocked to 3.6 GHz...and its hyper threaded and shows up as 2 processors but its not a true duel core cpu and depending on the app run which would be faster...anything single threaded... mine would whip the core duo because of the clock speed difference...but running several apps at once the core duo should be faster than mine because my cpu is deviding the computing power of the single processor and the core duo's are actually 2 processors on the same chip

mine would whip the core duo because of the clock speed difference...but running several apps at once the core duo should be faster than mine because my cpu is deviding the computing power of the single processor and the core duo's are actually 2 processors on the same chip

Are you talking about a core duo or a core 2 duo... They are 2 totally different chips. The core 2 duo is the one that has 2 cores and the Core Duo has only 1 core.

With that said any of the Core 2 Duos would out perform your old pentium 4 northwood on single or multi threaded applications it doesnt matter because the pentium 4 architecture is a poor architecture compared to the new Conroes... Im not bashing your cpu as I have a pentium 4 aswell im just stating the truth... The core 2 duo is the all around faster chip.

The Core duos would even be the better overall chip.

The core 2 duos would be better at gaming although the lower conroes I wouldnt buy and your older pentium 4 would probably be close to the e6300 in comparison at single threaded applications but at multitasking it would smoke your Northwood Pentium 4.

The Intel conroe core 2 duo E6300 which is the low end conroe will outperform a pentium D 930 which has 3.0ghz per cores. The E3600 has 1.86GHZ per cores and has 1066FSB. The E6300 gives 48% more performance per watt and about 20-25% more overall performance in games versus the Pentium D 930 which has alot higher clock on the Cores.

Core duo is Mobile processors by the way but they do have a few DESKTOP mobos out there if you really wanted the Core DUO as your desktop processor.