Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I need the steps to get out of safe mode

• Please log in to reply

Saiph

Saiph

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I believe that something did crash before my computer went into safe mode, because I was trying to open Trillian and tried to restart my computer when it wouldn't open, but before I shut down an end program box came up and I told it to End task and just shut down. I've tried restarting over and over and it won't come back up out of safe mode, and pressing the F8 key has yet to work. Therefore, what are the steps I should take to get it out of safe mode, such as the files I need to find and... what to do with them... Really, step by step stuff so I don't mess up the computer worse. I hope that makes sense, and that I can get some help.

Edit: Eh, at this point, ANY advice to get it out of safe mode, even if you can't tell me all the specific steps, could be helpful. So, yeah, advice, please? ):

Edited by Saiph, 13 October 2006 - 12:06 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Saiph...

Are the words "Safe Mode" present in the corners of the screen? I ask because sometimes a display problem can make it appear you are in Safe Mode when you actually aren't.

If you are in Safe Mode, click Start, then Shut Down, and choose "Restart in MS-DOS mode".

Once at the command prompt (C:\Windows>), type scanreg /restore (note the space after scanreg) and press "Enter".

You will be presented with a list of files to restore to...choose the second or third file down in the list (use the arrow keys) and press "Enter".

This will "roll back" to a previous registry configuration and will , hopefully, allow the machine to start normally.

Let me know how this goes...

wannabe1

Saiph

Saiph

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I don't believe the words safe mode were on the screen. I couldn't get into any programs other than the internet. But, I did as you said... only, I messed up a little bit and chose the first file listed. So, now my computer is in worse shape... when it reloaded it was out of safe mode, but I got three different kinds of error messages, mostly about a file that was missing I believe, and a virus or something that I got fixed not to long ago is back. It's where after about 5 minutes of the computer running internet explorer pages pop up and freeze everything up. Almost forgot, also, while the computer is still loading up there was this message that I really can't recall right now, but I believe it was saying and important application was missing that I needed either to reinstall, or uninstall something else on my computer similar to it. I wish I could remember, but I don't know what to do with that, so I just pressed a key to make it move on.

So, heh, that's how it went... I don't know if it would have been any better if I had selected a different file, but that's how it goes. I'm on a different computer now, I'll have to take the other one some place to get fixed before things get worse, if they can. But thanks very much for getting back to me and your efforts to help. I really, really appreciate it...

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can still choose another file if you re-run post 2