Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Regarding closed thread - "P2P software doesnt work properly on w

• Please log in to reply

Ldee

Ldee

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
I apologize for requesting info on a topic which I have learned is against the rules of the forum. However I did find it a little unfair when StormKnight6 said...

As said above, we here at G2G will not assist you in using P2P programs, or other illegal programs.

I am not an expert on intellectual property law or p2p but I am sure that most programs for using p2p networks and techniques are in fact not illegal. uTorrent is certainly not illegal. I don't think users who find protocols such as BitTorrent very useful for sharing and obtaining for instance, open souce linux distributions and utilities, should be tarred with the same brush as software and movie pirates. I do agree that p2p is probably best left outside g2g due to its justified reputation as a breeding ground for malware. However, this again is determined by what data one would choose to work with.

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
I see your point, however, most P2P programs are in fact illegal. Now, there are good P2P programs such as those distributing open-source programs, etc. Only problem is, we don't know the viewers' intentions. We really can't take the risk. Plus, it's in the Terms of Service that we can't help with such things. Your point is well taken, but not everyone can be trusted is the issue.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
At one time we provided assistance with P2P programs, but of course not with trading copyrighted material. Then Kazaa was found to be illegal, and the RIAA sued about every P2P publisher. We decided to avoid the grey areas and just stop providing all assistance. Unfortunately, the vast majority of P2P is trading of copyrighted material, and much more often it is embedded with malware.