Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive shows 1.99 gig only

• Please log in to reply

bdrich

bdrich

• Pip
  • 3 posts
This is on a 2000 Compaq Presario 5BW220. This system has a 15 gig hard drive, but only reads as 1.99 gig. I have used fdisk to try to correct the problem. I selected (y) for large drive. I also went to Compaq home page and download the latest Bios firmware, but to no avail. The hard drive still only reads 1.99 gig with fat 32. Any suggestions would greatly be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You have not mentioned the HD maker. Two things come to mind on this problem. One is that you have the jumper set wrong so the computer can only use DOS to format the drive. Dos has a 2 gig limit. microsoft DOS 7 ( in win 98) got around this problem. The second thing is that somehow you have the fat set to fat16 instead of fat32. Fat16 also has a limit of 2 gigs. Perhaps you are trying to use some legacy applications that need fat16 ?

SRX660

bdrich

bdrich

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I am sorry I forgot the information on the hard drives. This is the orginal hard drive as far as I know. It is:

Master Drive
Quantum Fireball Lct 15
Series 3.5
N143

Slave
Western Digital
Caviar 21600
WDAC 21600- 32A

Drive Parameters
3148 Cyl
16 Heads
63 SPT
1624.6 MB

I have tried just the master by itself, and also the slave by itself. I get the same results with both. I have double check the settings and it shows Fat 32. I am running windows XP Pro. There is no other software on the hard drive at this time. I have formatted both drives several times and tried them alone in the computer by their self. I haven't changed any jumpers, to my knowledge. I am not sure how to do it. In the CMOS both are listed, and in Hardware device both are listed and according to it, both are working. Hope this gives you more information to work with. As said before I am stumped??? THANKS for the help.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try this...go to....start....control panel....administrative tools....computer management....storage...disc management..
your should look like mine...is there any parts that are not active or formated

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try this...go to....start....control panel....administrative tools....computer management....storage...disc management..
your should look like mine...is there any parts that are not active or formated