Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Updates were unable to be successfully installed

• Please log in to reply

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Hi fellas, I'm using genuine copy of Windows XP Professional SP2. All updates installed up to date. Configured "Automatic Update".

For the past couple of days, the yellow balloon keeps popping up because one of the updates I did last wouldn't install properly - the Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 2.0 (KB922770).

I've tried rebooting the computer, I've tried shutting down all the AV and firewall, and anti-adware; when I went shutting down Windows once that special shutdown screen even came up saying "if you want to install update click on shutdown" which I did. But now this yellow balloon returns again and it was another failed installation.

What do I do? :S
Thanx in advance

Sincerely
Chinofeliz

Attached Thumbnails

• update.gif

Advertisements

Kniht

Kniht

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
Your not the only one having this problem. Google KB922770 and see how many folks are having the same problem.

I update manually and turn off auto update service after downloads of updates and installation occurs. After reading your post I started auto update service and by golly if KB922770 was ready to be installed. It said it was installed successfully but can't find it listed in %Systemroot%.

Currently I have an auto update being downloaded on my PC from Microsoft. Will be interesting to find out what this update is.

If anyone can figure this out, I too would be happy to hear about it.

Kniht

Kniht

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
Guess what, the update I just received was KB922770!! Again, clicked express install and said installation was successful, yet is still not reflected in %systemroot%. This is really strange. Am going to restart my PC and see if I am downloaded the same update again!!

Kniht

Kniht

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
Restarted PC and -------- you guessed it, got a notification KB922770 was ready to install!

At least I'm not told "installation unsuccessful" I get the message "installation successful".

Anyone figured this one out?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
i have got same thing going...tried several time to install the patches for net 2.0...finally just deleted net framework2.0 and now I don't need any stinking patches

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Hi folks thanks for getting back to me. I tried this link - http://forums.extrem...ad.php?t=238282

Downloaded the .NET Cleanup Tool then cleaned up .NET Framework 2 so after I rebooted Windows asked me to download the 22 mb framework again which I did and on top of that I did a fresh Windows Update and it seemed like the update to .NET Framework 2 was successfully installed but gosh you'd never know maybe after I reboot this time it'd come back again.

Let's see :S

Kniht

Kniht

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
Thanks for the link, chinofeliz. Followed the instructions. Everything seems to be fine so far.

But I'm with you ------- we'll see.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
try clearing your windows update folder

use your search...all files and folders

type in windows update

select the one in note pad

open it then edit ...select all....right click any blue file.... delete
and click yes and yes till its blank

Temporarily disable any virus and Web accelerator/enhancement programs

then try installing that update.....(KB922770).

heres some others you can try

Resolutions:
Suggestion 1
==========
This can occur if the hotfix installer was referencing:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\CatRoot2\edb.log and the file was corrupt. Either renaming C:
\WINDOWS\system32\CatRoot2\edb.log or renaming the entire
C:\WINDOWS\system32\CatRoot2 folder will allow the hotfix install to complete
normally.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Suggestion 2
============
Register the following system files.

1. On the "Start" menu, click "Run."
2. Type "regsvr32 licdll.dll" (without quotes).
3. Click "OK."
4. Type "regsvr32 regwizc.dll"(without quotes).
5. Click "OK."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Suggestion 3
============
This can occur if the "Microsoft Root Authority" certificate or the "NO
LIABILITY ACCEPTED, ©97 VeriSign, Inc." certificate under Trusted Root
Certification Authorities has been removed. On another computer that has the Microsoft Root Authority certificate installed, do the following:
1. Open Internet Explorer.
2. Click "Tools," then click "Internet options."
3. Click "Content," and then click "Certificates."
4. Click "Trusted Root Certification Authorities."
5. Scroll down until you locate Microsoft Root Authority certificate.
6. Click "Export."
7. Follow the prompts to export the certificate to "DER encoded Binary
x.509(.CER)" file. On the computer that cannot install updates, follow the steps to import the certificate you saved.

Edited by rushin1nd, 14 October 2006 - 11:13 AM.

Kniht

Kniht

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
The link chinofeliz provided worked like a charm. Have found KB922770 is now installed on my PC.

rushin1nd,

Appreciate the time and effort you took to post your instructions. Am saving your instructions in case I need them at a later date.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
glad it worked