Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

unmountable boot volume

• Please log in to reply

cranberry

cranberry

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Today when I tried to start my laptop, I recieved a BSOD and an 'unmountable_boot_volume' error.
The error code is as follows: 0x000000ED (0x823439EO, 0xC0000006, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I cannot boot up in normal or any of the safe modes, last known good menu or the debugging mode. I tried inserting the Win XP System disc, but it will not boot up with the disc installed either. It just goes straight to the menu to choose how I want to boot up (normal, safe, last known good, etc.) with no results.

I have a refurbished Dell Lattitude C600 laptop that is only 2 months old. I am running Win XP Home with SP2. I have not installed any new software or hardware within the last 3 or 4 weeks. The only thing I have done recently was to update McAfee signatures yesterday and everything was normal then.

First, what is happening here.....?? Second, I gather that I need to get to the recovery portion of the Win XP system disc, but how??

Any help here would be greatly appreciated!!

edit: I can't get to any command prompt to run chkdsk/p either...

Edited by cranberry, 13 October 2006 - 04:30 PM.

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Do you have a bootable CD? Will your Restore media boot? Is the Laptop in warranty?

Unbootable volume could be hard drive failure.

cranberry

cranberry

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Well, from what I can gather so far, nothing will boot, even if the CD is in the drive. I can't get past the initial 1 or 2 seconds of boot up before I get the error screen.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Hello,

First, your gonna haft to go into the BIOS and change the Boot up sequence

Make it CD-ROM first.

You should get a menu Press any key to boot from CD.

Press Enter.

You will get a menu. Choose the Repair opition.

HTH

cranberry

cranberry

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thank you--I will try that and repost.

cranberry

cranberry

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Ok--sorry it has been so long since I replied, but things got busy.

1) I tried the boot from CD. It didn't seem like anything was repaired at first because all it returned was a message saying it had found one or more errors, but then I shut down and restarted.

2) After about a 5 minute wait, XP finally started, though very slowly. All programs and files seemed intact and in working order. However....
a new development--my wireless card no longer works. I uninstalled it and reinstalled it. Nada. Also my Start Menu and taskbar are missing. Not hidden. Gone.

Sooooo, is this a virus? I ran a HDD diagnostic and it came back with a fail code: 97. But the computer runs, so it can't be a crashed HD, can it?

What is this fail code and how can I fix it? I can't get online to do a Panda virus scan. McAfee didn't find anything wrong. Where is my Start menu?