Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphic's Card Question

• Please log in to reply

Dan1887

Dan1887

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
I have a Compaq SR1430NX with a 250 watt power supply. I just bought a new motherboard an asus P5LD2-VM with 2 pci slots a pci-e x1 and a pci-e x16 and I am wondering if this psu is pci express compliant and if not what psu should i get because I have heard that compaq presarrio and more specifiaclly hp's are very propriotory when it comes to psu. But since i replaced my mobo should it really matter?

My PC specs:
P4 515j 2.93 ghz
250w psu
1.5 gb ddr2 sd ram at 533 mhz
250gb and 160 gb sata hdd
16xdvd rw dl and 16x dvd rom drives
24 in 1 meida card reader
108 mbps usb gaming wireless card
and at present a pci radeon 9250 256 mb graphics card

Edited by Dan1887, 13 October 2006 - 06:39 PM.

Advertisements

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
If your mobo has a PCI E slot and everything is hooked up and running correctly, then your PC is PCI express compliant regardless of manufacturer.

Dan1887

Dan1887

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
that being said i still need a psu that has a power connector for a pci card so does anyone know if th compaq 250 watt psu has one

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You have quite a lot there for a 250 watt PS to handle. I doubt that you have a dedicated connector for the ATI graphics card with that power supply. I would look into getting a 500 watt of higher PS. Many of the early pentium 3 H-P vectra's and similar compaq desktop computers had some wierd connector that hooked to the motherboard. I quickly learned you could jumper the connector on the MB so regular ATX power supplies could be used. Most later H-P and Compaq computers use regular PS's but they are usually underpowered. The only thing you really need to look out for is the size of the PS. Some of the smaller cases will not fit some of the larger PS's. Thermotake PS's i have found are a bit smaller and fit these cases. Be sure to measure inside the case and look at the size of each PS. Length is crucial as sometime the cdrom drives will not fit flush with the front of the case with some ATX ps's. Heres a good site on power supplies.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/

I would look thru his reviews and pick one you think you can afford. For a low end one you could use this one. It might be good as long as you are not planning to use a SLI video system.

http://www.jonnyguru...hermaltake.html

SRX660

Dan1887

Dan1887

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
ohh forgot to add that the case is a micro tower so it has a microatx mobo but i am positive it has a full sized atx psu thanx for the advice

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
I apologize as I misread your original question. Many PCI E cards get there power directly from the bus and do not require an additional power connector. It depends on the type of card you are getting. Check the card to see what type of connector it requires. If it requires a special 6 pin PCI E connector, then make sure you have one. If you don't, then there are adapters that you can buy that will convert two standard drive connectors into PCI E connectors. Here is a link to the page that contains the adaptors, but you can get them form many locations.

http://www.power-on....s-adapters.html

Edited by kidnova, 13 October 2006 - 07:50 PM.

Dan1887

Dan1887

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
thanx i was not aware of that thats a really big help