Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

The REAL difference between Mac and a PC?

• Please log in to reply

insanelewis

insanelewis

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey!

I've been looking into getting an iMac lately. They seem nice and all, but I'm afraid of the big change between Mac and Windows n' that.
SO! What's the REAL difference between the two. What can you run on a Mac that you can on Windows and what can't you?
Thanks.

-Lewis

Edited by insanelewis, 13 October 2006 - 10:39 PM.

Advertisements

insanelewis

insanelewis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Anyone out there that could give their opinion?

Edited by insanelewis, 13 October 2006 - 10:42 PM.

insanelewis

insanelewis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I guess no one is on, eh.
Ah, well.
I'll post again tomorrow.
I have e-mail notifications on this thread though.
So go ahead and post if you see this, please.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. The major difference, MAC is proprietary controlled by Apple, occupies a very small niche in the computer world. PC is does not have the same proprietary restrictions. Anyone can build one and compete in the free market. As for what will run on them, go down to your local Comp USA (or other compute store) and look at all the software that will run on a PC, then see the small corner of the store that is dedicated to MAC. It is all about choice. You are free to choose MAC if you want. I don't own one and have no desire to get one. Which is better is a passionate debate that has been going on for a long time. Do some web searches to help you form your own opinion. Remember what I said about that small corner in the store....

Edited by austin_o, 14 October 2006 - 08:28 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
This isnt a live help forum if people are on they on if they arent they arent, if you want live help we have an irc room.

The difference used to be quite significant macs used to use a whole different hardware standard( IBM power PC chips the same kind the xbox360 uses now) which had adantages and disadvatages over x86 standard hardware(also ironically developed by IBM but sold to intel and AMD well they were created specifically to make chips for that standard) and x86 eventually became the most common standard, apple recently switched over to using intel x86 processors so the hardware now in macs and PCs is very similar.

This means that the big difference now really is the OS Windows and linux are the two most common OSs for PCs and you have a choice as to what you can put on and you can buy new OSs and use the freely. Apple uses its own OS: X and it is not for sale seperatlely you can only get it with a mac, now you can put over OSs on a mac but you still need OS X and you pay a premium for it and because they dont sell it seperate you cant build a MAC and there is little to check Mac prices like the competition does with PCs.

Software wise you get most things for a mac that are fairly common however some things you cant get for a mac and there isnt alot of games for mac.