Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wireless network connecting problem

• Please log in to reply

mk1james

mk1james

• PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
i cant get on the internet with my dads laptop anymore since i changed the router (the other stopped working).when i try and connect it says acquiring network address and then it goes not connected then goes back to acquiring network adress and this just keeps going on.

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. Please tell me what type of laptop your father has, as well as the router type. Do you have any security setting enabled on the router such as MAC address filters or a shared key?

mk1james

mk1james

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
My father has a Acer Aspire 1642 WLMi, and my sky router is a Net Gear. I dont think that we have any security that would not let us on it, because before we had the exact same router and had no troble with any securty settings.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
I see. Is the router properly connected to the DSL/Cable modem? If you can provide me with a router model number I can help you figure out which test lights should be lit.

mk1james

mk1james

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
108Mbps Super Wireless ADSL Router and i think the router is propley connected because im using its internet connect on my pc at the moment it just dont work on the wireless

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Alright. Can you access the router control panel located at http://192.168.10.1 ? If so, enter your username and password which the router was installed with, and then I want you to tell me if everything is enabled in the Wireless Settings area.

mk1james

mk1james

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
no i cant access the router though that panel

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
You don't get a login box?

mk1james

mk1james

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
no it altumaticly connects to it

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Connects into... A control panel sort of thing?

mk1james

mk1james

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
2 go on it on my main computer i use it LAN and it just straight away goes onto it

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Yes, but I'm asking you if you get into the control panel thing. Is that where it takes you? Also, I'm having a bit of a hard time finding support documents with instructions, especially becuase each model can be different... How do you feel about Remote Assistance?

mk1james

mk1james

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
yeah im ok with doing remote assistnce

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Ok. I'm going to PM you some details. We'll update this topic once we're done.

EDIT: After Remote Assistance, I think it's the adapter. The viewer will be calling the ISP for additional assistance.

Edited by Stormknight6, 15 October 2006 - 02:36 PM.