Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WINDOWS PRO STANDBY

• Please log in to reply

daddy_yankee

daddy_yankee

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
I installed windows xp pro...
the restart button and turn off button are fine...

but the standby is faded out... therefore It is not clickable...

What can I do???? I need my stand by!!

thanks

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi daddy yankee!

What you mean is the standby Icon when you go to START-->SHUTDOWN is grayed out?

Fenor

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I don't know if I'll be around when you reply, so I'll add a little more information here for you to try.

Most of the time why Standby is grayed out is that you don't have all your drivers (specifically your graphics and chipset drivers installed). You say that you just installed XP Pro and noticed this problem. After Windows finished installing, did you go and download all the drivers for your computer and install them?

This could also happen because of a hardware conflict. Go to START-->RUN and type devmgmt.msc and hit ENTER. In the new window that appears, are there any items listed that have a yellow exclamation/question mark next to them? If so, list them here.

Fenor

daddy_yankee

daddy_yankee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
?multi controller
?unverisal serial bus
?video controller

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Looks like you need both the chipset and the video driver installed, which is why your computer can't go into standby right now....

Is your computer a prebuilt computer? AKA, did you buy it from Dell, or HP or some other name brand? If you did, please give me the make and model, like Dell Dimension 5000 for example.

If you had someone build the computer for you from parts, like a friend or local computer shop, let me know that too and we will go from there.

Fenor

daddy_yankee

daddy_yankee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
bought it
Its a HP COMPAQ S3000NX desktop

daddy_yankee

daddy_yankee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
???

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
There are no drivers for your video card on the HP support website. Please go to Windows Update and click on the CUSTOM button. Once it is done searching for updates for your computer, click on the HARDWARE (optional) link on the left side of the screen and download all items listed there.

Fenor