Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to turn on system restore?

• Please log in to reply

shmendrik

shmendrik

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
My computer got a nasy virus a little while ago. It disabled my Norton Virus Auto-Protect, Task Manager, System Restore, and editing of the registry. I downloaded avg, and it made it possible to use task manager, and registry editing. I just need to reinstall Norton, but I need system restore. How can I turn it on manually? I've consulted widows websites and Google, but nothing seemed to work. I am prepared to reformat if I can't get this figured out, but I'd prefer not to.

:whistling:

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
from your start menu

all programs...accesseries...system tools....system restore...restore my computer at an earlier time then next select date in bold when it was good.....ok

restart

but you may not fix virus problem your only dragging it around your computer

go here at the top of page of geeks

Do you suspect a malware (Spyware, Virus, Trojan) infection? Please Start Here. System clean? Spyware Protection.
To avoid confusion, please do not post your question in someone else's topic. Start your own.

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
Control panel
System
Click the tab system restore
Untick the box
Turn off system restore on all drives

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
to turn on 'system restore'

runbox command
- press: winkey + r button
- paste this: control sysdm.cpl,,4
- press: enter
- unclick: turn off system restore
- press: apply
- press: ok

Edited by fleamailman, 14 October 2006 - 10:56 AM.

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Hold down the Widows key and press "Pause/break". System Properties should come up. click on the system restore and put a check in the box to turn on System Restore. If it is still not working take alook in <root>\windows\system32\restore and be sure rstrui.exe and the srdiag.exe are there.

If these are there and system restore is still not functioning you can try a system file check. Start /run /open="sfc /scannow" (no quotes) click OK. If you don't have a full install disk this will not work.

shmendrik

shmendrik

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

all programs...accesseries...system tools....system restore...restore my computer at an earlier time then next select date in bold when it was good.....ok

Thats what I'm trying to get to work.

Control panel
System
Click the tab system restore
Untick the box
Turn off system restore on all drives

runbox command
- press: winkey + r button
- paste this: control sysdm.cpl,,4
- press: enter
- unclick: turn off system restore
- press: apply
- press: ok

I don't have that tab...

Hold down the Widows key and press "Pause/break". System Properties should come up. click on the system restore and put a check in the box to turn on System Restore. If it is still not working take alook in <root>\windows\system32\restore and be sure rstrui.exe and the srdiag.exe are there.

If these are there and system restore is still not functioning you can try a system file check. Start /run /open="sfc /scannow" (no quotes) click OK. If you don't have a full install disk this will not work.

I tried running those two, but I still get
Posted Image

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
please try it from safemode admin account

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
Re-Enabling System Restore

One of the tips that was widely circulated on the net when XP Professional was first released involved disabling System Restore via Group Policy Editor. It certainly works, but a problem arises if you want to re-enable System Restore at a later date. There is no option to re-enable it again.
To do so:
Start the Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc)
Navigate to Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/System/System Restore
Set Turn off System Restore and Turn off Configuration to Disable
Right click on My Computer and Select Manage
Navigate to Services and Applications/Services
Navigate to System Restore Service and double click
On the General tab set [Startup Type] to Automatic using the drop down list
Click the Start button to start the service
Close the Computer Management console
Return to System Restore in Group Policy Editor and configure both to Not Configured
Close Group Policy Editor and reboot the system.

After the reboot is complete, right click My Computer, select Properties and the tab for System Restore will have been restored. Configure it to your individual needs and satisfaction

shmendrik

shmendrik

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks Peter, it worked.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
In case someone later reads this, this solution only works in XP pro, home does not have the Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc)