Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ASUS P4S800D-X Motherboard

• Please log in to reply

poppyal

poppyal

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Hello! I have an ASUS P4S800D-X mobo and I cannot find out what processors it will take. I have an Intel 2.6MHz installed now and would like to go to over a 3.MHz, but I don't know how far I can go and I can't find anything that tells me the max CPU I can use. Also, is a "Prescott" better that anything else???? Thanks for any assistance I can get. I'm not really sure if this will even help my speed, but I'm willing to try. I am using two sticks of 256 PC3200 ram at this point.

Edited by poppyal, 14 October 2006 - 12:35 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello again, poppyal...

The Asus P4S800D-X will accept just about all the socket 478 Pentium 4 and Celeron processors and the Prescot core seems to be a little more efficient than others which results in slightly lower cpu temperatures.

That being said, installing a faster processor to increase performance (in your case) is probably not going to produce the desired results. You are already running a very quick processor on a fairly fast board...it's the RAM that's holding the machine back. For about the price of a new processor, you could install 2 gigs of RAM and your machine would show a very noticeable improvement in performance.

I prefer Corsair RAM, but there are other flavors available...just stay with the reputable manufacturers.

wannabe1

poppyal

poppyal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Thanx, wannabe1 for the reply. Sorry it took so long to return. I am using PQI brand of ram now - two 256 sticks. Should I stay with PQI and add two more 256 sticks or what would you suggest here? Is 1GB enough? I can't afford a whole lot right now. What would you think of using eBay for memory? Thanx.
Also, my board is capable of dual-channel ram. Is that really any better? I read somewhere that there isn't any difference - dual channel is just a scam to get you to spend more money. Do you know if that is true? Thanx.

poppyal1.

Edited by poppyal, 14 October 2006 - 03:19 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Though there are arguments on both sides of the Dual Channel memory issue, studies have shown that there is a measurable increase in memory efficiency using a dual channel configuration.

If you want to use the dual channel capabilities of your motherboard, I would definitely recommend using Corsair Ram (VS2GBKIT400C3 would be a good choice) as it is tested and shipped in matched pairs...this is ideal for dual channel use. This is a 2GB matched set which will leave you in good shape should you decide to upgrade your OS to Vista when it's released early next year.

Kingston also makes some pretty reliable RAM, but for the difference in price, I would still opt for Corsair. I've never used PQI RAM, but in reading some reviews, it appears to be pretty good...very comparable to the Kingston sticks.

The secret to a seamless dual channel setup is matched sets of ram...the "mix and match" method just leads to loss of efficiency.

To answer your question, adding another 512MB of ram will, indeed, give you increased performance that you will notice...the more you add-the better it gets. :whistling:

poppyal

poppyal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Thanks, wannabe1! I appreciate your help and your thoughts. I believe I will go with another set of PQI to match what I have, at least for now. If/when I can afford it, I will probably go with Corsair 2GB dual channel. That sounds good, but it may be a while yet. Sorry for the first delay - I had to leave the house unexpectedly for a while. Thanks, again.

poppyal1.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
My Pleasure!

Sorry for the first delay - I had to leave the house unexpectedly for a while.

I completely understand. I log in Anonymously when I am on call as I am often called away with no notice... :whistling:

Let me know what you think after adding the RAM... :blink: