Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help uninstalling McAfee

• Please log in to reply

kartune

kartune

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

My parents have an older computer running Win 98 SE. I told them it would probably be best to get rid of McAfee because 1 their subscription just ended and 2 it's a resource hog. I was able to uninstall the anti-virus through the Add/Remove programs panel, but when I tried to uninstall the Security Center I got a message saying "In order to uninstall McAfee Security Center you must first uninstall all McAfee services." There are no other McAfee programs listed, so I don't know what to do.

I've installed AVG but I know it's not good to have two antivirus programs running. I'm not even sure which version of Security Center it is...the program doesn't have an "about" tab or anything. Also, I tried going into the program folder, but any uninstall icon I clicked asked me which program I wanted to use to open it. Please help! :whistling:

Advertisements

Jrenter2

Jrenter2

• PipPipPip
  • 435 posts
Hi Kartune,

Here is what you can do to remove the Security Center...

1). GO TO c:\program files\mcafee.com\agent\app and remove all files in this folder.
2). Return to "Add and Remove Programs" in the Windows Control Panel, highlight McAfee Security Center and click on remove.
3). Close all windows and restart the computer. Insert the CD and reinstall the McAfee security center, if necessary.
4). If this does not work, run "services.msc" and set properties on all McAfee services to disabled and recovery to "none". Reboot computer and remove with "Add and Remove Programs"

NOTE: Whenever you're having trouble uninstalling Norton and McAfee always make sure that nothing is disabled in MSCONFIG... startup and services tab you will have problems removing the program if any component is disabled pertaining to the software.
Also, before uninstalling SecurityCenter, you must uninstall VirusScan, Personal Firewall, Privacy Service, and SpamKiller.

Hope this helps! :whistling:

kartune

kartune

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi Jrenter2,

Steps 1 & 2 worked like a charm. Thank you so much for your help!

Jrenter2

Jrenter2

• PipPipPip
  • 435 posts
Hi Kartune,

You're welcome and I'm glad we were able to help you with your problem. :whistling:

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Hello kartune and welcome to G2G!

I would recommend that you run a registry cleaner to cleanup all the left over Mcafee entries that'll be in registry. A cleaner such as CCleaner should clean it up.

http://www.ccleaner.com