Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Would somebody, anybody please help me?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Crustyoldbloke

Crustyoldbloke

Old Malware Surgeon with a shaky scalpel

• Retired Staff
  • 15,131 posts
Hello again

You will be doing yourself a disservice by installing both SpyWare Detector and Windows Defender. Also please bear in mind that you have a 30-day trial of AVGas too. All three of these programmes do the same thing, there may be some differences in their malware databases, but they protect your registry from change and compare files with their database and in the case of one of them, scan heuristically.

If you run all three, you will cause slowness and conflicts. The rule is the same as antivirus, just one programme running in real-time, all others are for "on demand" scanning.

Rather than you deleting files you deem to be bad and then show me the result, I would rather see for myself what is there now and decide what to do about it.

So as not to cause any more delay (I will be away from Friday onwards for 12 days), please run this scan.

There is a new Trojan downloader around that is replacing legitimate files with malware named exactly the same. This makes a visual inspection rather difficult as all appears to be OK. However the malware has a certain size and moves the legitimate files to a folder called bak. This tool will make a search of your PC for files of that exact size, and for any folders named bak

Please download:FindAWF

Save the tool to the desktop and run it. You will see a DOS screen throughout which will close and a file named awf.txt will open. Please post the awf.txt file in your reply.

Please note:-

If a DOS window does not stay open throughout the search (approx a minute) you need to change how the programme runs. Here’s how:
  • Locate the file
  • Right-click and select Properties
  • Select Compatibility and select Run this programme in compatibility mode for: Windows 98/Windows ME and click OK.
  • The tool should now work.

Advertisements

Crustyoldbloke

Crustyoldbloke

• Retired Staff
  • 15,131 posts
I will be away from the forum until Thursday 9th November 2006

wthess

wthess

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Here's the AWF file and also a new HiJack log. I did have a new trojan pop up this morning but NAV caught it.

Find AWF report by noahdfear ©2006

21504 byte files found
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

21504 byte files sorted with strings
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

25600 byte files found
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

25600 byte files sorted with strings
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

26450 byte files found
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

26450 byte files sorted with strings
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

bak folders found
~~~~~~~~~~~

Duplicate files of bak directory contents
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

end of report

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 10:36:08 AM, on 10/30/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\ADTRAN\NetVanta VPN Client\IreIKE.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\APC\APC PowerChute Personal Edition\mainserv.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cisvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\inetsrv\inetinfo.exe
C:\Program Files\ADTRAN\NetVanta VPN Client\IPSecMon.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\snmp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\vssvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
C:\Program Files\Venta\VentaFax & Voice 5\vfdrv32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\mqsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\mqtgsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cidaemon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cidaemon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Saitek\Software\SaiSmart.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech\iTouch\iTouch.exe
C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\OmniPageSE2.0\OpwareSE2.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Samsung\ComSMMgr\ssmmgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI HYDRAVISION\HydraDM.exe
C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\PaperPort\pptd40nt.exe
C:\Program Files\Brother\ControlCenter2\brctrcen.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\CLI.EXE
C:\Program Files\VIA\RAID\raid_tool.exe
C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\avgas.exe
C:\Program Files\Atomic Clock Sync\Atomic.exe
C:\Program Files\MSI\Live Update 3\LMonitor.exe
C:\Program Files\Free Download Manager\fdm.exe
C:\Program Files\DynDNS Updater\DynDNS.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Multimedia\main\ATISched.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\lib\NMBgMonitor.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Multimedia\main\ATIDtct.EXE
C:\Program Files\ATI Multimedia\RemCtrl\ATIRW.exe
C:\Program Files\MSI\Core Center\CoreCenter.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech\SetPoint\KEM.exe
C:\Program Files\Linksys\LogViewer\LogViewer.exe
C:\Program Files\ADTRAN\NetVanta VPN Client\SafeCfg.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks\QBUpdate\qbupdate.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech\SetPoint\KHALMNPR.EXE
C:\Program Files\APC\APC PowerChute Personal Edition\apcsystray.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\cli.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\cli.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Realtek AC97\SoundMan.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
E:\Adobe\Photoshop 7.0\Photoshop.exe
C:\Program Files\Kodak\KODAK Software Updater\7288971\Program\Kodak Software Updater.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rdpclip.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\logon.scr
C:\WINDOWS\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE
c:\hijackthis.exe

R3 - URLSearchHook: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn1\yt.dll
F2 - REG:system.ini: Shell=
O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Toolbar Helper - {02478D38-C3F9-4EFB-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn1\yt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn1\yt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {C004DEC2-2623-438e-9CA2-C9043AB28508} - (no file)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SaiSmart] C:\Program Files\Saitek\Software\SaiSmart.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [zBrowser Launcher] C:\Program Files\Logitech\iTouch\iTouch.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Ptipbmf] rundll32.exe ptipbmf.dll,SetWriteCacheMode
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe /Consumer
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [OpwareSE2] "C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\OmniPageSE2.0\OpwareSE2.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BCWipeTM Startup] "d:\BCWipe\BCWipeTM.exe" startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Samsung Common SM] "C:\WINDOWS\Samsung\ComSMMgr\ssmmgr.exe" /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PinnacleDriverCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\PSDrvCheck.exe -CheckReg
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" -hide
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HydraVisionDesktopManager] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI HYDRAVISION\HydraDM.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SSBkgdUpdate] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Scansoft Shared\SSBkgdUpdate\SSBkgdupdate.exe" -Embedding -boot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PaperPort PTD] C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\PaperPort\pptd40nt.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IndexSearch] C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\PaperPort\IndexSearch.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SetDefPrt] C:\Program Files\Brother\Brmfl04g\BrStDvPt.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ControlCenter2.0] C:\Program Files\Brother\ControlCenter2\brctrcen.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATICCC] "C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\CLIStart.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RaidTool] C:\Program Files\VIA\RAID\raid_tool.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [!AVG Anti-Spyware] "C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\avgas.exe" /minimized
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LiveMonitor] C:\Program Files\MSI\Live Update 3\LMonitor.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Atomic.exe] C:\Program Files\Atomic Clock Sync\Atomic.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Free Download Manager] C:\Program Files\Free Download Manager\fdm.exe -autorun
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [DynDNS Updater] "C:\Program Files\DynDNS Updater\DynDNS.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ATI Scheduler] C:\Program Files\ATI Multimedia\main\ATISched.EXE
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [BgMonitor_{79662E04-7C6C-4d9f-84C7-88D8A56B10AA}] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\lib\NMBgMonitor.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ATI Launchpad] "C:\Program Files\ATI Multimedia\main\launchpd.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ATI DeviceDetect] C:\Program Files\ATI Multimedia\main\ATIDtct.EXE
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ATI Remote Control] "C:\Program Files\ATI Multimedia\RemCtrl\ATIRW.exe"
O4 - Startup: Catalyst Control Center.lnk = C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\CLI.exe
O4 - Startup: Check for JIMCO Software POWERpack Updates.lnk = C:\Program Files\JIMCO Software POWERpack\WiseUpdt.EXE
O4 - Startup: Xfire.lnk = E:\Xfire\Xfire.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: APC UPS Status.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: CoreCenter.lnk = C:\Program Files\MSI\Core Center\CoreCenter.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Kodak software updater.lnk = C:\Program Files\Kodak\KODAK Software Updater\7288971\Program\Kodak Software Updater.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Logitech SetPoint.lnk = C:\Program Files\Logitech\SetPoint\KEM.exe
O4 - Global Startup: LogViewer.lnk = C:\Program Files\Linksys\LogViewer\LogViewer.exe
O4 - Global Startup: NetVanta VPN Client.lnk = C:\Program Files\ADTRAN\NetVanta VPN Client\SafeCfg.exe
O4 - Global Startup: QuickBooks Update Agent.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks\QBUpdate\qbupdate.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download all with Free Download Manager - file://C:\Program Files\Free Download Manager\dlall.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download selected with Free Download Manager - file://C:\Program Files\Free Download Manager\dlselected.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download with Free Download Manager - file://C:\Program Files\Free Download Manager\dllink.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: ATI TV - {44226DFF-747E-4edc-B30C-78752E50CD0C} - C:\Program Files\ATI Multimedia\dtv\EXPLBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: eBay - Homepage - {EF79EAC5-3452-4E02-B8BD-BA4C89F1AC7A} - C:\Program Files\IrfanView\Ebay\Ebay.htm
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O12 - Plugin for .mpeg: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\npqtplugin3.dll
O12 - Plugin for .mpg: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\npqtplugin3.dll
O16 - DPF: {01113300-3E00-11D2-8470-0060089874ED} (Support.com Configuration Class) - http://support.fasta...oad/tgctlcm.cab
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.micros...b?1126536395265
O16 - DPF: {B1826A9F-4AA0-4510-BA77-9013E74E4B9B} - http://www.trendmicr...scan/as4web.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{2EF94275-9E5A-4E40-9687-C8FAFC85E1B8}: NameServer = 192.168.10.200
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
O23 - Service: APC UPS Service - American Power Conversion Corporation - C:\Program Files\APC\APC PowerChute Personal Edition\mainserv.exe
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe
O23 - Service: Automatic LiveUpdate Scheduler - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG Anti-Spyware Guard - Anti-Malware Development a.s. - C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: SafeNet Monitor Service (IPSECMON) - SafeNet - C:\Program Files\ADTRAN\NetVanta VPN Client\IPSecMon.exe
O23 - Service: SafeNet IKE Service (IREIKE) - SafeNet - C:\Program Files\ADTRAN\NetVanta VPN Client\IreIKE.exe
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUCOMS~1.EXE
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: SAVScan - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
O23 - Service: SymWMI Service (SymWSC) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
O23 - Service: vb40032.exe - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\vb40032.exe
O23 - Service: VentaFax Engine (VfDrv32) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Venta\VentaFax & Voice 5\vfdrv32.exe

Crustyoldbloke

Crustyoldbloke

• Retired Staff
  • 15,131 posts
Hello again

I know the last log was already 10 days old when I saw it, but it looks good to me. Have there been any problems in the past 10 days?

wthess

wthess

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Yes, I'm still having strange problems. NAV does not automatically start on a reboot. I have to start it manually. Also, I have frequent application errors with IE and also with Windows Explorer. Most of the spyware that was being reinstalled on a reboot seems to have gone away, but I still have issues.

Crustyoldbloke

Crustyoldbloke

• Retired Staff
  • 15,131 posts
Hello again.

I am not sure of which direction I should be going but let me take your comments at face value.

If you feel that you'd like to keep Norton AV, please uninstall it, reboot normally and re-install it.

Windows Explorer problems are associated with the operating system, so we can scan for changes and correct any that have become corrupt.

Please run System File Checker, to make sure all of your protected files are not corrupt. The scan will automatically replace any corrupt files that it finds.

Click Start
Select Run
At the prompt type sfc /scannow Please note that there is a single space between sfc and /scannow.

Typing this will start the programme, and a box should appear telling you how much longer the process should take.

Sometimes the scan will prompt you for your Windows XP disc upon starting the scan. if this happens please make sure that you can view protected files:My Computer
Tools
Folder Options
View
"Uncheck" Hide protected operating system files.
Then rerun the scan.

Once the scan is complete:

Check your Windows Updates! After using the File Protection Service, you might need to reapply some updates.

Please reboot, and let me know if anything has changed.

Also, please rehide the protected files:My Computer
Tools
Folder Options
View
"Check" Hide protected operating system files.
Your MSIE (internet Explorer) problems are best dealt with by upgrading to IE 7.0 from the Windows site.

I don't use it myself, I much prefer Firefox, but I am told that it is less prone to problems.

Crustyoldbloke

Crustyoldbloke

• Retired Staff
  • 15,131 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.