Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ran out of disk space on C, Need help.

• Please log in to reply

kizzletharizzle

kizzletharizzle

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi,

My HD is split into two disks: C (10G) and D (20G).
Currently, the C drive only has about 2% memory left. This apparently puts some restriction on what I can and cannot do.

I have been occasionally running CleanUP! on this computer, so everything it could clean it did. However, I used to have 1 GB left until one day Microsoft and iTunes decided to install new updates. After that, i have almost no space left.

1. Can I delete any other files that clean up does not touch? For example - C:\Windows\Software Distribution ?
2. Could I also edit the registry so that Application Data from such things as Google Desktop, or Adobe Photoshop does not get stored onto C, but goes on D instead.

Any other ideas would be also very appreciated.

Thank you.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I too run 2 partitions on every HD of my computers. I now use a 20 gig partition for windows and programs and the rest of the drive for data and some programs. Yes you can install some programs on the second partition and windows on the first partition will still run it normally. Some programs are mostly self contained and those i will always install on the second partition, even if i have to add a shortcut to the program files list so i can access the program from the start menu. Other programs that install all over the drive you can still install on the 2nd partition i just prefer not to. Once when i had to do a repair install of windows i lost the connections to those programs on the 2nd partition. I ended up wiping the drive and changing the partitions. That happened because i tried to install the Pinnacle video editing program and did not realize it took almost 5 gigs of space.

SRX660

kizzletharizzle

kizzletharizzle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Ok, I really don't see how your answer is helping my problem.
All you just told me is how good you are in wiping computers clean.

Once Again, maybe it was not clear, but i wanted to know:

1. What general files can I safely delete and have my comp run normally
2. If I could, then HOW could I rewrite Registry so that my programs store Application Data on Drive D.

thanks

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here for the lowdown on moving the whole my documents folder to the D drive..

http://www.kellys-ko...n_xp_mydocs.htm

then get ccleaner to clear out usless temp, historys index.dat files..

http://www.filehippo...nload_ccleaner/

then use the add remove section in the control panel and delete any old programs you dont need...when you install any new programs install them to the D drive...they will put hooks in the C drive but will use minimal space....with only 5% free space you may not even be able to defrag the drive...you might consider getting a new drive...heres a 40 Gig for 42 bucks...

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822148013

kizzletharizzle

kizzletharizzle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I appreciate the responses, but you guys are such typical computer nerds.
You don't seem to try to understand the problem and provide a solution for this problem, instead you just through obvious wold-known solutions.

Of course I could get a new drive, but that's not my question. Trust me, I thought of it already. Of course I could uninstall old programs, but hey, I ALREADY DID.

Any computer engineers around here who could try approaching this problem with some problem solving skill?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
ahhhh... lets review...we have a guy that asks for help...then doesn't do whats asked to do ...then gets attitude ...the powers that be wont allow me to respond to you they way I want...BUT I can block your posts so that I NEVER see anything else from you

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
A 10GB root drive is pretty small...this machine should have been set up the other way around...with a 20 gig primary.

Putting Application Data and Distributions on a separate drive is not recommended and can lead to problems with the file system on down the road, so I wouldn't do that. Besides...for the most part, you're moving text files...we're talking kilobytes per file. The Software Distribution folder contains update files...including SP2 if you have installed it. You can install your applications to the other partition, as was suggested, but the application data will be stored in the root directory as it is a hidden system folder.

If you are that critical for space on the drive, back the system up by making an image of the drive, burn it to a cd, and turn your System Restore feature off. This will dump all the copies of the registry now saved in the root directory...you'll gain more space doing that than moving a few text files to another partition. Just remember to make a new image of the drive every couple of weeks so you don't loose too much when you have to restore the system.

There were some good suggestions given you here by Staff members who probably realized that what you were asking was not going to accomplish what you were after...I would submit to you that you look their suggestions over as a way to save space in the future...and take advantage of their experience. After all, that's why you're here, right? To get suggestions from others who may have ideas to lend?

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 16 October 2006 - 10:28 PM.

thakid

thakid

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
ok I am not on anyones side just throwing in my 2 cents but you asked about movin program files yes you can do it just uninstall and reinstall click " custom install " and chance the " C:/" to " D:/" and as far as removin stuff I dunno too much about that I would ask a mod if I was you ( at the ones u did not tick off yet lol )

crash override

crash override

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
You can safely move data files (documents, pictures, music files, etc)from one drive to another. Based on your apparent limited knowledge, I would highly reccomend you stay away from attempting to rewrite the registry. What you are proposing would take days to accomplish by even the most talented gurus. The easiest way to move your programs, would be to uninstall and then reinstall them. When you run the install, instead of going click happy, read the prompts that are presented. Choose a custom install and have it install to the D: drive.

Edited by crash override, 17 October 2006 - 07:52 AM.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
While I appreciate your sentiment, please do not make a bad situation worse. The Admin team is aware of the comments in this thread and we are dealing with the issue.

Please keep this thread on topic, if you have computer help to offer, please do. Let us deal with any potential problems.

ScHwErV :whistling:

crash override

crash override

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

While I appreciate your sentiment, please do not make a bad situation worse. The Admin team is aware of the comments in this thread and we are dealing with the issue.

Please keep this thread on topic, if you have computer help to offer, please do. Let us deal with any potential problems.

ScHwErV :whistling:

My apologies to both the staff and kizzle.

Edited by crash override, 17 October 2006 - 07:55 AM.