Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

External Hard Drive Trouble

• Please log in to reply

ctsuzbo

ctsuzbo

• Pip
  • 4 posts
:whistling: I hope that somebody can help me. I bought an X-drive 40GB external hard drive on the inernet in December '05 and had problems with getting my HP Pavilion laptop (XP operating system) to recognize it. I contacted the company that I purchased it from and they suggested several fixes including: was it formatted, using the drive manager, etc. I still to this day don't know what finally did it, but all of a sudden I could find it and use it. Just recently (about 3 weeks ago), I transfered (moved) my video files from my JVC camcorder to this drive so that I could edit them and produce DVD's with no problem. Now (about a week ago), I was getting ready to edit some video files and the drive was disconnected mistakenly (I bumped the USB cord) and when I plugged it in again, there was no drive listed. I have disconnected it the past by just unplugging it with no problem, but now BIG problem. I have no other copies of these files that were from our vacation this year and are irreplaceble. Any ideas?

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
questions:
- the harddrive is not read by any computer or just not by your computer
- what is the computer
- what is the os
- how old is it
- is the external harddrive USB powered or mains powered
- is this external harddrive sharing the usb ports with other divices
- does it show up is

requests
try this, come back in you don't understand

runbox command
- press keyboard buttons: winkey + r
- paste this: devmgmt.msc
- press: enter
- open and look at the disk there, is it recognised, are there any yellow blobs there
(checking drivers here)

runbox command
- press keyboard buttons: winkey + r
- paste this: diskmgmt.msc
- press: enter
look and see if your external harddrive shows there too
(checking drive letter)

my hunch is that it is the connect, either that it doesn't like sharing or is being missread by the comp
l

Edited by fleamailman, 14 October 2006 - 07:25 PM.

ctsuzbo

ctsuzbo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The disk is not being read by any computer. The computer is HP Pavilion zv5430. OS XP Home Edition and is about a year and a half old. The hard dirve is about 10 months old and is USB powered. Under device management it shows as @@@@@@@USB Drive and under drive mangement it doesn't show at all. I have used it in the past plugged into the USB ports alone or in a hub with other devices and now it won't run in any of them.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
again, it is only a hunch but when devices are powered by the usb cord then either a shorter cord or a cord that has two males at one end(that go into the comp) and one female that goes in the harddrive, helps give you drive more power, the test of this is to try it with a desktop computer. also normally there is little light(s) of some kind that indicates that the device is receiving poewer, are the light(s) should be working here

however, hate to ask but seeing that these external harddrives are delicate, what amount of bump are we talking about

Edited by fleamailman, 16 October 2006 - 12:29 PM.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
First of all,

WELCOME TO GEEKS TO GO!!!

Second of all, try checking the cord that connects the drive, it might sound dumb but it might be broken.

ctsuzbo

ctsuzbo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I have tried 3 or 4 different cords and none work. As for the 'bump', I bumped the cord out of the socket, but the drive itself did not take the hit.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
sounding bad, not giving up, though
- what lights show up if any on the external harddrive when you plug it in
- what is the name of the external harddrive, some are just easy to open harddrive caddies(hope, hope) most are not though

ctsuzbo

ctsuzbo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
There's only one light on the front of the drive and it lights up green. When it was working it would flash between red and green. The brand is x-drive.