Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Monitor Display Issue

• Please log in to reply

corbsishot

corbsishot

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello,

This is a problem that occured today while I was working at my desktop computer. The monitor suddenly went from the usual display to a scramble of colours on the screen. I restarted it and have since restarted it and the same display of a scramble of colours fill the screen. I am unable to access any part of my desktop, cannot start in safe mode, or use any keyboard commands. If I turn my monitor on without the computer being turned on, the monitor test scrolls across the screen as per normal. I'm not sure what other information will be needed but this is a relatively old computer, has not had any such problems in the past, operates on windows 2000 and it is a CRT monitor.

Thank you in advance for the assistance, it is much appreciated and I hope this issue can be resolved.

Scott

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Do you have anti-virus programs installed? It looks like a malware attack maybe. Have you made any changes to the system recently? Why can't you boot in Safe Mode? Nothing appears? You're pressing F8 to get there, right?

corbsishot

corbsishot

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Do you have anti-virus programs installed? It looks like a malware attack maybe. Have you made any changes to the system recently? Why can't you boot in Safe Mode? Nothing appears? You're pressing F8 to get there, right?

I do have an antivirus program installed...no changes whatsoever to the system lately. I can't boot in safe mode because as soon as I boot the computer, the monitor display turns these scrambled pixels of colour. Pressing F8 doesn't do anything visible at least.

Thanks for responding so quickly

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
hhhmm... I think this is a Malware infection... I'll ask around and see if anyone can help...

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
questions
- what type computer
- what type os
- what age
- do you have an XP cd with you

crude way of getting to safemode
- take out battery(if laytop)
- have mains connected
- turn on computer
- after 20 seconds pull out mains plug
- reconnect plug
- turn on computer
should boot directly into choice of safemodes

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Also try another monitor if possible. Maybe the monitor is just going dead.