Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Netgear router won't install on Windows 98SE

• Please log in to reply

snapsparkchik

snapsparkchik

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I'm trying to install a Netgear WPN824 router on a computer running Windows 98. I click on setup and it says I need to be logged on with administrator rights and then the setup exits. I went to netgear's website and found firmware updates but not the initial setup file. :whistling: Can anyone help?

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Are there any other users on this computer? Do you have administrator rights?

snapsparkchik

snapsparkchik

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi Stormknight6, thank you so much for your quick reply. My mother has her own profile set up on the computer but no one else in the family does. When we start up the computer, there is a network screen that comes up with the username default and no password but I hit OK and the computer loads normally.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
So that would be the administrator account then I suppose... How old is the router? Brand new?

snapsparkchik

snapsparkchik

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Yes the router is brand new. The box does say it works with Windows 98, at first I thought that might be the issue.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
I hate doing this, but becuase of the strange nature of the issue, I would say to call Netgear. They will give you free support for 90 days, starting from when you register the router. I had to call them myself when I first started. Keep in touch. :whistling:

snapsparkchik

snapsparkchik

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Not a problem. Actually, I didn't know Netgear had a 800-number. :whistling: I'll give them a call. Thanks again for your help!

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Keep us updated :whistling: