Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Media Player exchange

• Please log in to reply

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
Would like to know if I can swap Windows Media Player 10 for 9. I have 10 installed on Windows XP Pro, but on download site at Microsoft. com it is indicating that operating system version must be Windows 98 or 2000. Is this correct. If it is not, do I have to uninstall (Control Panel>Add Remove Programs) first before I download Windows Media Player 9.

Wayne

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
The wrong version would not install anyway. But version 10 is definitely for Windows XP. The standard version built in to XP is v9.0 so you simply uninstall v10 (Add/remove Programs) and Windows will automatically restore v9.0.

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
Already went that route. Windows Media Player does not show up on populated list of programs.
The closest I come to anything resemblilng that is "Mutimedia Launcher"

Waynf

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
A more drastic route would be to do a Windows Repair from your XP CD. This will restore Media Player 9, but it would require you to grab the security updates from Windows Update again. There's only 60 of them :whistling:

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
But the question now is, why does Windows Media Player show up in populated list of add/remove programs