Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot repair OR re-load Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I'm verifying each step for my own mind to make sure we're not missing anything...and yes, I've read the topic, I don't see any reference to you having tried the last known good configuration option from the Safe Mode options.

What happens when you try that option?

Advertisements

tanamarie

tanamarie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
We get the same paragraph:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt
\windows\system32\config\system

you can attempt to repair this file by starting windows set up cd and select r to select repair....
BUT we cannot get into the set up screen. we get a bar at the bottom that goes nowhere and then the same paragraph. and we have already set the boot order as 1st cd rom 2nd hard drive and 3rd is a drive which we dont have a disc for.

I do appreciate your help... any suggestions

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
IF we can get you into Recovery Console, we can replace the registry hive and get this machine running. The tricky part is going to be getting there so we can hook the operating system to run the repairs.

Is there a floppy drive on your machine? Some Presarios have them...some don't. How about the machine you're on now...does it have a floppy drive?

tanamarie

tanamarie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Yes, I have a floppy disc drive.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Both machines?

I'd like to make a boot floppy set for XP, boot the machine to that and see if we can get to Recovery Console that way. This will require 6 floppy disks. Download the file for your installed operating system from the link below and save it to your desktop. Double click on the downloaded file to run the setup and put a floppy in the floppy drive when prompted to do so by the application...it will prompt you for each additional diskette. Label them as they need to be used in order.

Boot Floppy Set

You'll then need to set your boot priority so cd-rom is first, floppy is second, and HDD third. Let me know when you have this set ready or if you run into problems...

tanamarie

tanamarie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Okay

tanamarie

tanamarie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
We put the first disc (floppy) in and it says diskette a is bad or missing.

tanamarie

tanamarie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
WE restarted it and it is accepting it now, we are on the 2nd disc..I think Im going to love you forever if this works......

tanamarie

tanamarie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
We are at the screen that says welcome to set up...
WE want to REPAIR correct?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Have you been to this point before?

We have a couple of options from this point...I need to know which to choose for your issue.

Advertisements

tanamarie

tanamarie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
no we have not been able to get here

tanamarie

tanamarie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
no we have not been able to get here

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Cool. :blink:

Is the XP installation cd you have (not the recovery cd) the same version? ie: XP Home or XP Pro

Is the SP2 on your machine a downloaded update or was it included with the operating system?

Sorry for all the questions... :whistling: Replacing the registry hive is a drastic measure...if we can run a repair install we'll have less to do when we're back up and running.

tanamarie

tanamarie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
THe cd is the same version (home) sp2 was a download that cd does not have.

While I was waiting on your reply we went ahead and clicked the r but I think we didnt do sommething right.
so, I will just wait for you. We had to put the 6 back in and we are finished. let me know if i repair or what.

thanks!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...let's try the repair install.

At the Welcome to Setup screen, press "Enter" to set up windows now.

Accept the License Agreement by pressing F8.

On the next screen, it should list your operating system in a box with options listed above it.

Do you see any operating systems listed on this screen? If there are more than one, list them here for me.