Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wont start

• Please log in to reply

iTearThisDwn

iTearThisDwn

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
hi, i came to turn on my computer ealyier and when i pressed the power button nothing happened. i had a look 2 see if any cables were loose but they were all plugged firmly in so i plugged a fan in the socket to see if there was power and it was fine, i then took off the side and the motherboard light is on but still nothing happens when i press the power button. if anyone knows what this could be plz help thx alot

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The first thing to check is the PS. i have seen a computer that was inadvertently set to 230 volts that stopped it from booting. See if you have a 115/230 switch on the PS. Use a know good power supply to check to see if it is the problem. Next is to see if the switch itself is bad. These are only momentary switches so you could use a flat bleded screwdriver and just touch the 2 pins for the power switch on the motherboard with it and see if the computer starts up. Beyond that it is a matter of replacing hardware one by one until you find the problem. Memory is usually first. Reset the memory already in the computer and try booting. Then replace the memory with a known good stick to see if that works. After that it is probably the Motherboard or Processor.

You should get a beep that tells you the computer has checked the hardware and all seems to be working. No beeps says there is no power or a major component has died.

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 15 October 2006 - 01:12 PM.