Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New Hard Drive is invisible

• Please log in to reply

skidude108

skidude108

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I installed a second (or third depending on how you count) hard drive and now it doesn't show in My Computer. My original plan was to try to put Windows Vista on it and play with that in a dual-boot sort of scenerio, but I can't get Vista to see any of my hard drives.
After I gave up on that i decided to just install it as-is and run with it... Long story short: I plugged it in, started the computer, made sure the BIOS was set correctly so that it could be seen, found the drive in Windows Component Manager, Formatted it in Disk Management, Named it, gave it a letter, restarted the computer and it still doesn't show up in My Computer. It's in the disk management, and if I open it there it will let me put stuff on it, and I can open it by typing it's letter into the address bar (typing M:\ like you would anywhere) but My Computer still just won't see it and it's driving me nuts!

Background that may be necessary:
Currently I've got 3 hard drives, 2 are identical IDE drives running Raid 0 and the other is a 120GB Seagate SATA plugged into SATA1 on the motherboard. I assume I've got everything plugged in correctly because it shows everywhere but My Computer (and it still doesn't show in the Vista installation but I doubt it ever will because it's probably something to do with Raid drivers not working in Vista)

Thanks for any help!

PS. I also have a stupid little 8MB partition that showed up after Norton Ghost failed (and a 130gb partition on my main Raid Array that wasn't there before--- What is that?) and I can't get rid of it... any ideas on that?

Advertisements

skidude108

skidude108

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
It also might be important to know that it does show up in the annoying little icon by the clock for the "safely remove hardware" thing. It's an internal drive, and it's the only thing on the list, and it won't let me stop it anyway... but for some reason it's down there and I can't make it move to My Computer.

anykey

anykey

• Pip
  • 3 posts
um, have you formatted it ..??

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Hard drives never show up in My Computer unless they're formatted. Go to Adminstrative Tools -> Disk Management to format it in XP.

As for the "stupid little 8Mb partition", this was created by Ghost. Or alternatively its created by Windows Setup and is part of the filesystem - apparently it only appears if you have more than one partition and its where Windows stores the partition information and its right at the start of the disk.

skidude108

skidude108

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I did format it, and it still won't show up. I'll try again just for good measure.

Is there any way to delete this odd 8mb partition? or make it so it doesn't show in the list of drives? I cant imagine I need it since it didn't show before.

skidude108

skidude108

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I reformatted it and it still doesn't show up. FWIW windows also loads much slower now that that hard drive is in there.

crash override

crash override

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
The one you are having a problem with, is that the SATA drive?