Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Operating system not found

• Please log in to reply

aquevedo831

aquevedo831

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
Whenever I turn on my laptop, Instead of booting as it usually used to do I get a message stating Initializing MBA and then it sais PXE-E61 : Media test failure, check cable.
What do i need to do to fix this problem?
thank you

Advertisements

Kniht

Kniht

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
See if this helps: http://www.computerh...es/ch000706.htm

aquevedo831

aquevedo831

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
That article did not help any.
The hard drive does not seem to be recognized in the BIOS.
I noticed the laptop started making a funny noise a couple of weeks ago when ever I booted. Last week I got the error message telling me no operating system found. I restarted the laptop and it seemed to work fine. Then two days ago I put my laptop in hybernate mode instead of turning it off, and when i came back to use it, it no longer started. Does anyone have any suggestions how to fix this problem. I have taken out the hard drive and checked it, but there seem to be no problems with it. All the connections seem to be good. I have even taken out the CMOS battery and put it back in to reset the BIOS but it still does not seem to recognize the hard drive anymore.

Kniht

Kniht

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
http://murfsgarage.c...rd Drive NR.htm

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi aquevedo831...

PXE-E61 : Media test failure

This error can be indicative of a couple things. The machine is looking for boot instructions from a network source after failing to find them elsewhere.

The first thing to check would be the BIOS and see if there is an option to disable the network boot option. If you provide the BIOS version on your machine, we may be able to help you determine if this is possible in your version.

A corrupt MBR can cause this problem, but this will not prevent the HDD from showing in the BIOS. This can be addressed by booting to a Win98 Startup disk and typing fdisk /mbr at the A:\ prompt and pressing "Enter".

This message can also indicate a Hard Drive failure...which is what I suspect has happened here. Make sure the HDD cable is securely connected and that power is reaching the HDD. Can you hear it spin up when you turn the machine on?

wannabe1

aquevedo831

aquevedo831

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
that is what i was thinking happened, because i can no longer hear the hard drive spin up like it used to. I have taken apart the laptop and checked the cables, and they all seem to be fine. but the hard drive still does not seem to have power.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The fact that the drive is apparently not spinning up combined with the error you received and the drive not being detected in BIOS would lead me to believe the HDD has failed.