Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD-rom can't read any disks

• Please log in to reply

misternock

misternock

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
I've been having troubles with burning CDs for about a month now. I been using iTunes 7.1 to burn my Audio cd's and now it does'nt work.

I tried windows media player,nero, and winamp to try to burn audio cd's and backup files and its still not working.

CD's i use for audio cd's are HP Invent cd-r 52x (Which worked previously) and now Memorex CD-R Recordabl which doesnt work. I found a couple of extra HP Invent cd's around the house and attempted to burn and it only writes about 2 songs and then cancels itself out.

I tried to backup my files so I can re-install everything and nero said I can't use the disk I am using.(HP Invent DVD+R 8X 4.7 GB RW

Whenever I try to burn something it usually just ruins the disk. So does anyone know how to fix this?

I really would appreciate the help. :whistling:
Thanks

Edited by misternock, 15 October 2006 - 01:55 PM.

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
curious I just want to check
- you want to back up you stuff =
- you cannot back it up onto cd =

ideas
- are you on a network in which you could share files to =
- have you tried removing non XP burning programs and then repairing with an XPcd =
- have you tried updating the cdrom driver
- have you tried putting the harddrive as slave in another computer
- have you got someone with a harddrive caddie
- have you got someone with an external harddrive to borrow from

misternock

misternock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
curious I just want to check
- you want to back up you stuff=YES
- you cannot back it up onto cd=YES

ideas
- are you on a network in which you could share files to=NO
- have you tried removing non XP burning programs and then repairing with an XPcd=No, I don't know how
- have you tried updating the cdrom driver=Not Yet but I will
- have you tried putting the harddrive as slave in another computer=No don't know how
- have you got someone with a harddrive caddie=I don't know what that is
- have you got someone with an external harddrive to borrow from=No, I was thinking about buying one but I rather see if I can fix my problem before I spend my money.

Edited by misternock, 16 October 2006 - 10:03 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Have you tried burning at a slower speed to see if it will complete successfully?

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
thanks for the clear replies let's explain then
- your burning program are in add/remove programs, that is if they are other than the one that came with you opperating system, if they are removed, it should be enough, but if that isn't one can repair the system further by using an XP cd to reinstall the base system(the repair does not effect your data or programs)
- a harddrive caddie is just a box that one can put the harddrive in and then connect it to another computer to read, remove and store data on
- slaving a harddrive is the same idea but in place of putting the harddrive in a caddie one puts it straight into the second computer as a second harddrive again to read, remove and store data on

hope this helps, try wanabe 1's advice as it is simpliest, if you joy return here plz

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
- your burning program are in add/remove programs, that is if they are other than the one that came with you opperating system, if they are removed, it should be enough, but if that isn't one can repair the system further by using an XP cd to reinstall the base system(the repair does not effect your data or programs)
- a harddrive caddie is just a box that one can put the harddrive in and then connect it to another computer to read, remove and store data on
- slaving a harddrive is the same idea but in place of putting the harddrive in a caddie one puts it straight into the second computer as a second harddrive again to read, remove and store data on

hope this helps, try wanabe 1's advice as it is simpliest, if you joy return here plz

misternock

misternock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
I thank you both for helping my out.

Have you tried burning at a slower speed to see if it will complete successfully?

Yes I have tried that and I still get no luck.

By burning program does that include iTunes,Nero,Windows Media player, ECT...because they all came with my computer.
And if I need to re-install them I can't because my driver can't read any disk I put into it.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
no they are all good, and no you don't need to remove them but remember you said that you wanted to backup your files somehow so I was thinking that if one goes for the simpest one removing the others then the system might work, eitherway in this case I don't know how much stuff you want to back up but using a caddie, or slaving it or borrowing a external harddrive, also eitherway, if you have a restore disk you have you programs on them I believe

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's uninstall the device from Device Manager and let Windows reinstall it.

Right click on My Computer and choose "Properties". Click the "Hardware" tab and click the "Device Manager" button. Locate your optical drive in the list (it will be under DVD/CD-ROM drives), right click on it and choose "Uninstall". Accept the change and reboot.

Any change?

misternock

misternock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

no they are all good, and no you don't need to remove them but remember you said that you wanted to backup your files somehow so I was thinking that if one goes for the simpest one removing the others then the system might work, eitherway in this case I don't know how much stuff you want to back up but using a caddie, or slaving it or borrowing a external harddrive, also eitherway, if you have a restore disk you have you programs on them I believe

Yea thats one of my ideas, to borrow a external drive and backing up my stuff.
After I backup my stuff from a external drive, what do I have to do? Re-Install windows?

Let's uninstall the device from Device Manager and let Windows reinstall it.

Right click on My Computer and choose "Properties". Click the "Hardware" tab and click the "Device Manager" button. Locate your optical drive in the list (it will be under DVD/CD-ROM drives), right click on it and choose "Uninstall". Accept the change and reboot.

Any change?

Sorry but I'm not to smart with computers.Which drive is my optical drive?
The ones listed are:

AR6751X ZHI611N SCSI CdRom Device

HL-DT-ST CD-Rom GCR-8483B

JT7023K XTB931D SCSI CdRom Device

& Last but not least

TSST corp CD/DVDW TS-H552B

Thanks for the help.
You guys are great!
:whistling:

Advertisements

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts

After I backup my stuff from a external drive, what do I have to do? Re-Install windows?

Format then Install Windows

GrantG

GrantG

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Most likely the TSST corp CD/DVDW TS-H552B is the drive being referred to as your optical drive. Since you're not the computing type I'll keep it clean and try not to confuse you even more. The 'optical drive' name has no direct relevance to you at all. Go ahead and uninstall the TSST corp CD/DVDW drive, restart windows then let windows automatically install the drive. It may then work. Post back with the outcome

misternock

misternock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Wow I'm getting alot of help!
Thank You All!

Well, I uninstalled the "Optical Driver" and I still can't burn & it still can't read any disks.

A new thing happens now. Whenever I do put in a disk with information on it,
the computer makes alot of noise and you can see a icon of a disk with the cursor turning on and off.
It will keep doing the same for as long as it can (about 3-5 minutes) until I take the disk out the driver.

Do you think that something unplugged inside my computer?

misternock

misternock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
I'm still having problems, I think its a trojan horse virus.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Click Start then Run and type regedit...click "Ok"

In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SYSTEM, then CurrentControlSet, then Control, then Class, and click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} In the right pane, are UpperFilters and/or LowerFilters listed?

I think its a trojan horse virus.

If you suspect malware is present on the machine, maybe a trip through the Malware Forum and follow the instructions you'll find there.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- post a hijackthis log in THAT forum. Do Not reply to or "bump" your own topic...if it shows a reply, it may be overlooked as one that is being worked on.

Edited by wannabe1, 24 October 2006 - 05:59 PM.