Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Wireless, i havent got a clue?

• Please log in to reply

stillbaddad

stillbaddad

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hello everyone that looks in :whistling:

I have just recently bought my son a brand new Advent 7104 laptop. I am trying to make it internet ready for him coming home.

THE PROBLEM.

looking into the system hardware it shows the following.
Network Adapters
1. 1394 Net Adapter
2. Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200bg Network Connection
3. Realtek RTL8169/8110 Family Gigabit Ethernet NIC

I have looked into the Wireless driver details and it says that the device is working properly.
However, i try to look for the connection and cant seen to find it.
I have a thompson speedtouch wireless router which is currently running. I have a computer upstairs running on the internet and am getting a good signal strength from it. Obviously this computer is working fine. I can run a further 2 computer on the router. This new one however will not find the signal.

I have tried to switching to the Network Connections screen but i get the same old reading. NOT CONNECTED. i have tried enableing it but to na avail.

I have tried to use the Wireless Network Setup Wizard but am told USE A USB FLASH DRIVE (Recommended.) I cant understand why i need to use one of these.
Am i wrong in thinking that or is that the simple answer, us a USB Flash Drive.
OR i there something else wrong.

Hoping to hear from someone soon

Shaun

Edited by stillbaddad, 15 October 2006 - 04:30 PM.

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. Just to clarify for you, the Network Connection "Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200bg Network Connection" is your wireless adapter. Now, I'm going to run a basic drill with you here to see if we can get it to work. Sometimes it's the simple things. Now, when you try to connect to a network, can you see your network and try to connect to it, or does the laptop say that there is nothing in range? What type of laptop is this (make and model)? For some laptops, there is a button either on the front of the laptop, or on the left or right side, which has a little antenna icon next to it. Press that button, or slide it, depending on how it looks. This is the on/off switch for the adapter, which is needed to find connections. Despite what common sense would tell you, the adapter is not always on for laptops, they must be turned on by the user. Keep me updated. :whistling:

(Edited for grammar)

Edited by Stormknight6, 15 October 2006 - 06:38 PM.

stillbaddad

stillbaddad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hello Stormnight.

As requested. The Laptop is an ADVENT 7104

i have tried to locate any switches or buttons and cant find any. I have tried to use the setup wizard but the reply i get is

NO WIRELESS NETWORKS WERE FOUND IN RANGE

there is another small message below that says

MAKE SURE THE WIRELESS SWITCH ON YOUR COMPUTERIS ON.
TO SEE AN UPDATE LIST CLICK 'REFRESHH NETWORK LIST'

When i do this nothing happens, i just go back to the same screen that reads as above.

The wireless network connection reads NOT CONNECTED, FIREWALLED and has a X going through the icon

stillbaddad

stillbaddad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Huuuurrrraaaaaayyyyyyy.

Found out that it is not a switch at all. The way to turn the bighte on is to press FN and F2 togethern to switch the blighter on and off.

This is not in any of the instructions i have, so this might be a one to bare in mind

Thank you any way this problem has been RESOLVED

Shaun

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Glad to see that you got it fixed :whistling: Too bad I didn't come back earlier. That's on the list! Enjoy! :blink:

starsy

starsy

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Can anyone help - I have recently bought my son Advent 7104 laptop cannoy get wireless connection "switched on" - can anyone help it is driving me crazy!! :whistling: