Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

explorer.exe missing- no start menu,icons, taskbar or right click on d

• Please log in to reply

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
I think you may be better off asking those questions in the OS forum:
http://www.geekstogo...2003_NT-f5.html

I am not sure if you can use the SP2 CD, but I'm sure they can help you there.

Start a new thread stating your problem and point here so they can see what we already did and tried.
F.e. http://www.geekstogo...howtopic=134467

Advertisements

ctdgcrsntf

ctdgcrsntf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
Ok. I posted the thread. Thanks.

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Let me know if I can be of assistance. :whistling:

ctdgcrsntf

ctdgcrsntf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
Hi. I've been trying to reinstall windows but have problems when it comes to the product key. Do you know anything about either of these things:
-I got 2 different product keys, 1 from the Microsoft sticker on my computer and another from the magical jelly bean keyfinder, both come up as invalid
-How do you get a new key, the computer manufacturer [compaq] said it is free so do you just email Microsoft and get it? I really don't want to email/call them directly through Windows XP product support as it costs $35. [I emailed them yesterday through general support, still waiting for a response]

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Did you try following this procedure:
http://www.microsoft...totell/windows/

The key is also often displayed if you rightclick my computer > Properties > on the General tab.
Check if that is the same as the one one your sticker.

ctdgcrsntf

ctdgcrsntf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
No, I can't. The problem is I can't get past the setup screen now that I've started to install windows xp. So, I can't see the key. Is it possible to check the key, to see if it is valid, on another computer?

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
You should be able to if you follow the Validate instructions at the site I linked to.
You will have to answer some questions about how the sticker looks.

ctdgcrsntf

ctdgcrsntf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
Looks like it is a valid key so then why doesn't it work? I checked the windows xp cd which looks valid also, it came separate from the pc, could that be the problem? It is the same version as the computer.

Edited by ctdgcrsntf, 09 November 2006 - 05:36 PM.

ctdgcrsntf

ctdgcrsntf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
I found out the problem with the product key. Apparently the cd and its product key are SP1 but the pc and its product key don't have SP1 or 2 so it doesn't work. Do you know anything else I could do besides buy a new cd? Could Microsoft help at all?

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
I'd give them a call.

If the key is valid you should be able to use it with SP2 as well.
I don't understand why it wouldn't work anymore after updating.

Advertisements

ctdgcrsntf

ctdgcrsntf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
Yes I will have to call them. I don't think updating it was the problem it apparently is the fact that the computer and it's key didn't have SP1 when I first got the pc but the cd [and it's product key] did. I guess they aren't compatible or something, I really don't get why. They are both Windows XP Home Edition.

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts

I really don't get why.

That makes two of us. :whistling:

ctdgcrsntf

ctdgcrsntf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
I called Microsoft once for a new product key and a second time for a replacement xp cd. Both times they wouldn't give me what I asked for, not even the price of a replacement cd! I think they wouldn't do it because I don't have a product id, which I told them clearly, I can't get because I can't get onto the pc and access it. They say the same thing every time, call compaq [who won't help me anyways besides telling me to use the recovery cd and delete all of my data or call microsoft] or buy a new $200 cd. It seems Microsoft doesn't want
to help anyone who has windows preinstalled on their computer. They really make me not want to buy anything windows again.

Edited by ctdgcrsntf, 14 November 2006 - 06:25 PM.

ctdgcrsntf

ctdgcrsntf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
Hi Metallica. I'm going to transfer the harddrive of the broken pc to my other pc and add a new harddrive to the broken one. Then I'm using Compaq's recovery disk to fix/install windows on the old pc. As long as the recovery goes well I guess I don't have any more questions/need any more help. Thank you for all of your help with everything from SP2 to reinstalling windows. I appreciate it. Bye. :whistling:

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
My pleasure. :whistling: