Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Minimum memory necessary for Windows98

• Please log in to reply

DarbyC

DarbyC

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hello,

My Mom has an old, slow computer and I'm trying to figure out ways to speed it up. It only has 32MB of RAM, is that enough to run Windows98? Would it help to install Windows95 intstead. If so, how do I uninstall 98 and install 95 (I'm sure I have an old 95 CD ROM somewhere.)

I rarely open up a computer and start messing around, but I see that it has 4 slots for memory and I looked up the number printed on the memory, KTM2X32L-60ET, and it described it as an 8MB SIMM. There were more numbers on the memory, but if I used them in my search I got no hits. Would it be possible to get memory that would fit in the slot that would contain more than 8MB (maybe a whole whoppin' 16MB).

Since my Mom does not use the computer except for e-mailing occasionally, it would be nice to just speed this on up a little bit rather than buy a new one. I've looked around to replace it, thinking I could get one cheap that would be much faster, but even computers that are relatively old are not real cheap. It would be better to buy new than the older ones I priced.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Darby

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Windows 98 runs happily in 32Mb if the rest of the system isn't too heavily taxed.

You have what's called SIMM memory; this must be installed in pairs. You can't take one 8Mb stick out to replace it with a 16Mb stick and expect it to work.

If you did want to add an extra 32Mb of memory to the computer, you'd have to buy two lots of 16Mb to replace two of the 8Mb ones in there at the moment.

Crucial did use to sell this type of memory, but now you can't buy it brand new for love nor money. Lots of it goes on eBay though, but of course there are no guarantees when you buy on eBay.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Simms do like to run in pairs and you are in luck that you can still get it in 32 mb and 64 mb sticks.

http://www.tigerdire...e...5&CatId=148

http://www.tigerdire...e...2&CatId=148

If that is too much for you i saved around 100 sticks of the IBM 8 MB 72 pin simms out of a load of auction computers we stripped for parts. Message me if you are interested.

SRX660