Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Defragmenter not working on C drive

• Please log in to reply

RealTalk

RealTalk

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
I have a C and an F drive, I defragmented my F drive, worked perfectly. Then i restarted into safe mode the next day to defrag the C, turned it on and went to bed, woke up and it said it was finished, but it at most defraged 15% of it, so i ran again, and it keeps stopping between 3% and 14%. When it stops, it gives me a message saying "Defragmentation is complete for C. Some files could not be defragmented." The file it seems to keep stopping at is a system restore. Should I clean out the system restores to fix this? Or is it another problem?

Advertisements

braxton

braxton

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I would run check disk first, and check both boxes. then try defrag again in safe mode. If it still hangs up, delete the restore points, run defrag, then when finished reenable system restore.

brax

RealTalk

RealTalk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

I would run check disk first, and check both boxes. then try defrag again in safe mode. If it still hangs up, delete the restore points, run defrag, then when finished reenable system restore.

brax

Sorry but im pretty computer illiterate, where would i find check disk? I looked around for it but i couldnt find it.

braxton

braxton

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Open my computer, right click the C: drive, choose properties, choose the tools tab, then choose check now. you will get a message that tells you you can not check an active disk do you want to check on restart, choose yes. Disk check will run on restart.

brax